Thread: This is interesting (cheap printing)

Abuser of God's Sunlight

This is interesting (cheap printing)

Ok, lets just assume the print quality is lousy. The prices are still remarkable. I wonder how they do it. I might try one just for fun.

http://www.printafewthings.com/mp_in...es.asp?id=4269

Re: This is interesting

They are probably a 2-3 person(maybe less) operation. A lightjet/chromira exposure unit and a 30-40" roller transport RA-4 processor is all you really "need" to get a deal going like this...

the local photo center to me has a Chromira "all in one"(processor and exposure unit in the same machine). They offer "free printing" to members of the photo center, and some people really take them to the cleaners(no wonder they keep raising the prices every term...) for that "free printing" offer...

Seeing that they offer glossy or luster/lustre paper as their options materials-wise, I'm assuming its RA-4 paper, because on a $/sq. in basis, RA-4 is vastly cheaper to run than an inkjet printer, and faster too. Hence why most minilabs use it.

"Batching" orders allows them to use up complete rolls of paper(~160ft long, each roll), so they only have to mix chemicals for each run. That way they can keep their tanks clean between runs, have their machines running less time(so less long-term daily wear and tear vs 1 long session 2-3x/week). Basically less $$$ going towards ongoing maintenance.

smart business tactic, and doesn't take a lot of "know how" to keep these machines running smoothly.

-Dan

downside though is you can ONLY UPLOAD JPEGS

see here:

http://www.printafewthings.com/mp_in...es.asp?id=4280

Actually JPEGs are just fine for transferring files to labs, where JPEGs fall short is with repeated edits and saves.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    They are probably a 2-3 person(maybe less) operation. A lightjet/chromira exposure unit and a 30-40" roller transport RA-4 processor is all you really "need" to get a deal going like this...
    Oh, wow! A used Chromira 30 unit goes for $25,000 +1000s/h!! I sure hope those people get the requisite volume for their business!
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Hope I'm understanding you correctly Brian

It was purely a guess on my part in terms of employee count. I have no idea on their overhead or business practices, but I've seen used 30-50" Chromira's here in LA that have been professionally de-installed/palleted from closing labs by a licensed tech for around $4-12k. Yes, they're used machines, most close to 10+ yrs old, but an still produce great results. Same thing with RA-4 processors. And sometimes they're even cheaper than the exposure units. But getting a well maintained one is still like buying a used car, work and service records are the best thing to have from the prior owner. Not just word of mouth.

Back on topic shall we, has anyone used this printing service ?

Dan

I don't know about the smaller sizes but the 20x30 for $5.50 isn't that much less than Costco and Costco does a very nice printing job. I could be wrong, I haven't used Costco in a while, but IIRC I paid about $8 for a 20x30 from Costco. The catch for me with Costco is that the only paper they use for that size print is glossy or semi-glass and I prefer matte.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

WOW!! I will give them a try
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

just placed an order, 24x30 print 16.75 shipped
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Re: This is interesting (cheap printing)

Thanks for the link, I'll have to try this out.

As someone mentioned, the big retailers CAN make good prints. I get prints done of 8x10 often at Sam's Club. It's the same paper/machine as Walgreen's for 1/4 the cost. For bigger stuff I send out to a better place, because they have a different machine for 11x14 + sizes. If these guys use the same nice paper/machine for up to their big prints then this is a steal.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome