Thread: Devere Freestanding Enlarger help please 504 or 507 (pref 507 info if possible).

Devere Freestanding Enlarger help please 504 or 507 (pref 507 info if possible).

I am looking at buying a freestanding 507 (or 504) De-Vere Dichromat enlarger. I would prefer info on the 507 but am interested in the differences (if any) between the two. Can anyone answer for me the following questions please:

What is the minimum height I would need to fit it in (does it require any headroom above the actual top of the enlarger)?

I understand the table moves up and down, does the head also move or is it static at the top of the enlarger?

TIA, Merry Christmas to all.

Re: Devere Freestanding Enlarger help please 504 or 507 (pref 507 info if possible).

The 507 handles up to 5x7 and the 504, 4x5 so unless you shoot 5x7 or intend to, the 504 will be fine.

Not sure on the height but the head will most likely extend beyond the height of the column. I think the 5108 needs somewhere around 84" -+ and has a support brace to attach the top of the column to a beam or wall.

As well, the head is no static and can be raised or lowered.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Re: Devere Freestanding Enlarger help please 504 or 507 (pref 507 info if possible).

Thank you Fred, that is very useful. I do shoot 5x7 more than 4x5 or 8x10 which is why I would like a 507 in preference to the 504. I am just trying to sort out where it will fit.

FWIW, I have the bench model 504. The column is 49" from base to top, and my Zone VI VC head adds another 10" if the head is at the top of the column. That 10" number will vary slightly depending on what head you have mounted; the original DeVere cold light head was 9.5" tall.

There are a few De Veres on Ebay UK at the moment, mostly 504s but there is a free standing 507 with drop table. The bench models will allow you to make 20X24inch prints, with the appropriate lens in use. The drop table can be lowered to allow 30X40in prints to be made with ease. The free stander needs a lot of headroom, about 100in. with the colour or cold cathode heads and a further 12 - 15ins. with the Varicon condenser head.The 507s are becoming scarce as those who have one look to be hanging on to them. If you see a good one get it but make sure it has a full set of carriers and lens plates with it. These are relatively common for the 504 but not so the 507.

Thanks for the replies, yes there are both a floorstanding 507 and a 504 on UK ebay at the moment, that is the reason I have asked my questions as I am looking to get one or the other with the provision that they will fit in my current darkroom space.

Not too bothered about 35mm or MF as I have two other enlargers for that.

They both use exactly the same column (as does the 108) so will require the same amount of headroom. You will need about 8ft to clear the column. I'll dig out my 504 manual and get the exact dimensions for you. The one on ebay comes with both the 5X7 carrier and the multi format carrier which will take standard 504 masks. That 20X24 beard masking frame is also in reasonable nick. If I didn't have a 504 already I would put in an offer. The seller says it could do with a service. This can be done by yourself as it is really just good, solid engineering so a good clean and lubricate is probably all it will need although take some time on ensuring head alignment is spot on.

Thanks all for the input, I mananged to get the 507 with the Beard Masking Frame and the Componon 210mm f5.6 lens for £400. Just got to travel up to collect it now.