Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A backpack for my brand new Tachihara?

Re: A backpack for my brand new Tachihara?

There are some good ideas here.....

Quote Originally Posted by scm View Post
    PhotoBackpacker has just what you need
    Ditto. Of all the years I have struggled with this issue through numerous backpacks, the PB backpack fit the bill best because it is so customizable to specific equipment and personal needs. I don't se the need to ever upgrade this unless my equipment changes (just change the guts of the pack) or he comes out with something new and even more handy.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    There are those that would suggest the really heavy wooden tripods. They are nice people. I am just not one of them... Of course, if they could really prove to me if could stop the wind issues, I'd eat my words (I don't use a hat). In the meantime I'm enjoying being able to walk farther from the car...Lenny
    I love my Berlebach 3032 when I want to setup and use it i.e. only two pieces instead of three or four, leveling ball part of the tripod.
    I hate my Berlebach when I have to carry it on a trail, it is cumbersome.

So I do the following:
    1) Use carbon tripod on the trail
    2) Use Berlebach when I do not have to hike

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Drew Wiley

Lenny - the last time someone accompanied me just trying an afternoon jaunt w/o a full
    pack carrying gear as you precribe, he ended up with a gashed leg, a twisted foot, two
    broken Gitzo legs, and two ruined Zeiss lenses. And he's someone who's been mtn climbing
    his entire life. Walking a short distance from the car or adjacent to a campsite on relatively
    level ground is one thing, taking a serious walk is an entirely different issue.

I owned a Tachi once. Wonderful cameras but they can be delicate so I would definitely look for a bag option that will protect the camera. The tachis have metal tilt arms that can break particularly where the bottom of the arm attaches to the camera body. There the metal arm is as thin as a spring. It's an unusual style of construction that you don't see on other woodfields. Great groundglass though. All the best, John

Preston Birdwell

I have a Lowe Pro Nature Trekker AW. It is a heavy pack with all the padding. Add the camera, lenses, etc., and load gets pretty weighty. Now, I am having 'zipper hell' with it: The main waterproof zipper is failing, and it drives me bonkers. So, having looked in detail at Harley Goldman's PhotoBackPacker pack, I am sold. Now, I just need to save my pennies to buy one before spring.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Lenny - the last time someone accompanied me just trying an afternoon jaunt w/o a full
    pack carrying gear as you precribe, he ended up with a gashed leg, a twisted foot, two
    broken Gitzo legs, and two ruined Zeiss lenses. And he's someone who's been mtn climbing
    his entire life. Walking a short distance from the car or adjacent to a campsite on relatively
    level ground is one thing, taking a serious walk is an entirely different issue.
    Well, I am sure this was upsetting for this fellow. However, I carried my 8x10 on my old metal Gitzo all over the place, many miles from the car, on serious hikes at times. This did not happen to me. I have climbed down many of the access points to the sea we have in our part of the world, without incident. I have also climbed up and down Wittenberg at Point Reyes from every side... I have tired myself out to be sure, but I am used to having that tripod. Sometimes, over a river, it added a extra point of contact, like a ski pole...

I'm not saying you're wrong. Just saying I had a different experience...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Drew Wiley

Maybe you're not as much a bushwacker as I am, Lenny... Maybe we should get our heads
    together and figure out how to hermetically seal a large 8x10 bellows and fill it with helium.
    That's been on my "things to do" list for a long time. Thought of that idea chugging up Tam
    one day when I heard literal voices of inspiration overhead. The fog cleared just long enough to spot a couple hanggliders circling a bit above, and wished I had that option with
    my view camera. Or maybe I was just being schizophrenic as usual!

Quote Originally Posted by nimo956 View Post
    I like my Loka from F-stop Gear
    That looks tempting. Got any pics of your gear in that pack?
    Best regards
    Søren Nielsen

Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Maybe you're not as much a bushwacker as I am, Lenny... Maybe we should get our heads
    together and figure out how to hermetically seal a large 8x10 bellows and fill it with helium.
    That's been on my "things to do" list for a long time. Thought of that idea chugging up Tam
    one day when I heard literal voices of inspiration overhead. The fog cleared just long enough to spot a couple hanggliders circling a bit above, and wished I had that option with
    my view camera. Or maybe I was just being schizophrenic as usual!
    For a long time I thought a single wheel, shock absorbed support for a backpack would do the trick. I actually purchased a used baby jogger and inverted it and it almost fit. It would work. But I couldn't find the time and resources to have someone sew it up, or weld the thing properly to get it to work. There was a European version, very expensive, but most everything was a "push" technology instead of pull.

Of course, if they ever find that graviton particle, that would be very cool...

;-)

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing