Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A backpack for my brand new Tachihara?

Re: A backpack for my brand new Tachihara?

Thanks Richard. I do that now with my other camera, but for my shiny new Tachi I'm looking for more protection, a sort of camera condom so to speak, to keep it pristene till the new car smell wears off (lot of mixed metaphors there).

I'll second scm's suggestion. I tried quite a few backpacks/camera bags before settling on a Kelty Redwing with Photobackpacker's cases. The Kelty set up this way works so well for large format that it seems like it was intended for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    I'll second scm's suggestion. I tried quite a few backpacks/camera bags before settling on a Kelty Redwing with Photobackpacker's cases. The Kelty set up this way works so well for large format that it seems like it was intended for that purpose.
    That is also what I use a Kelty 2650 (or 44 bloody Imperial) with cases. The most comfortable of the many packs I have tried.
    When I was in France "citypacking" I used a Lowepro Pro Trekker 300AW. It is squarish and is actually quite convenient as I was carrying many holders and bland in better when you arrive at an hotel...

Cheers,

luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

I also use the affordable Kelty Redwing (below) for my mountain day-hiking w/ 4x5 Tachi + 3 lens kit. I remember choosing the larger of two available sizes. Excellent volume, pockets, straps, pads & durability for the $100 price range. Very comfortable. Has never let me down. And it has just enough room for additional gear & food for an overnight trip. Don’t forget the rain fly!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Redwing.jpg  

When using a backpack for my Tachi (I'm regularly changing my mind :-) ), I use a Nature Trekker from Lowepro. It's a bit tight, but it fits the camera, lenses (I did put 5 in there, but 3 is more reasonable), plus camera, 6 holders dark cloth, spotmeter and some small accesories (loupe, tc...)

Hmm... looks like a consensus. I'll definitely check out the Redwing when I get to the US. This looks like it might also work for my new (to me) Sinar Norma. Do you carry your tripod inside the pack?

I also recommend the photobackpacker system. I use it for my Zone VI 4x5, three lenses, film holders and the rest of the stuff I think I need. One real plus in my opinion is that the pack meets the carry on measurements as a carry on. On a recent trip to New Mexico all the overhead storage was filled but, the pack would fit under the seat in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Hmm... looks like a consensus. I'll definitely check out the Redwing when I get to the US. This looks like it might also work for my new (to me) Sinar Norma. Do you carry your tripod inside the pack?
    I put two legs (Carbon Benro) or one leg (Wood Berlebach) between the body of the bag and the side pouch (there is only a velcro to close the bottom) and run the two straps on top. In the bag I move the boxes a little bit to the other side so that part of the tripod has room toward the center. I found that it is the best way to balance the load.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Drew Wiley

I disagree with you all. Get a REAL backpack, one with an external frame made in the US
    and not in East Balookistan by child slave labor. Things like REAL Calif made Kelty or older
    "vintage" Camp Trails packs. I picked up a nearly brand new one of those at a garage sale a few weeks ago for five bucks. That way you can carry anything. Camera packs have a
    bunch of silly redundant heavy foam padding. I wrap the camera in bubble pkg or even a
    down jacket, or use various liners I have custom made. Can carry any camera system I
    want in them, plus all kinds of other gear if I plan to camp out of just not freeze to death
    that day. I can't imagine strapping a heavy Ries tripod for my 8x10 onto one of those
    glorified book bag thingies. A real frame pack makes it routine.

When I hike, I put the camera on the tripod. A very lightweight Gitzo, the lightest one that will support the camera well. I have a dark cloth that weighs nothing, one extra lens (the other is on the camera) and the light meter, pencils, a few holders. One needs a very small pack for this... Tripod and camera go in the hand or over the shoulder. If its light enough you can walk as far as you want.... Pack weighs 5-8 pounds with everything.

I have the Redwing that people are suggesting for the 8x10. I'm probably going to retire the whole kit as the 4x5 is handling my needs very well...

Make it easier...

There are those that would suggest the really heavy wooden tripods. They are nice people. I am just not one of them... Of course, if they could really prove to me if could stop the wind issues, I'd eat my words (I don't use a hat). In the meantime I'm enjoying being able to walk farther from the car...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing