Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pyrocat HD and TMY – What the heck am I doing wrong?

Pyrocat HD and TMY – What the heck am I doing wrong?

Let me preface by saying Delta 100 and TMY-2 are my main films. I recently delved into Pyrocat HD and my Delta 100 looks fantastic. However with my TMY-2, something is way off.

I processed in a Jobo 3010 on top of a Beseler Rotary Base at about 30 RPM at 75 degrees. I used a 1:1:100 solution and processed 8 - 4x5’s in 1000, (1020), ml of solution for 9 minutes.

I then used a half strength acid stop for 15 seconds and then 6 minute fix in TF-3 and final wash and wetting agent.

What I am left with is thin negatives, even the Kodak ID letters are thin, and massive streaking across large areas of the film. See this web example. Please note the contrast has been boosted a bit to demonstrate the streaking.

I don’t see any of this on my Delta 100 in virtually the same process except for time in the developer which is only 6:30.

What the heck am I doing wrong?
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    John Belthoff
    Black & White Film Photographer
    http://www.customfilmworks.com/

Re: Pyrocat HD and TMY – What the heck am I doing wrong?

I don't use Pyrocat anymore but i did use Pyrocat MC for about 5 years. 9 minutes seems short to me, i developed TMY 2-2-100 for 10 minutes, this was for PT/Pd printing but i still think you need more time in the dev. 75 degree is also high for pyrocat as oxydation will have an impact before you reach 9 minutes at that temperature.
    How do you expose your TMY? 250 was ideal for me.

Yes I just realized that I never stated my EI which was 250. Any idea where the streaking is coming from?
    John Belthoff

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

The agitation in the 3010 is quite high and uneven and the oxidation affect Pyrocat-HD more that other developers. If you want to keep the same setup then try 1:1:50 and 6:30 min.

Streaking and uneven development is just what made me give up on Pyrocat. I never have any problems with other developers.

I use 6:45 minutes with Pyrocat HD 2+2+100 (1+1+50) at 75F in a Jobo drum with TMY2. I don't use a stop bath, just a water rinse followed by TF-4 or TF-5. I haven't seen streaking like that before in the Jobo, but I did have issues with Pyrocat in a Combiplan that looked sort of like that. I would guess you are oxidizing the developer. Try dumping the dev half way through and replacing it with fresh. Or just up the concentration like I did based on the advice of others.

OK,

So I will give 2:2:100 or 1:1:50, which I belive is the same thing, a try. However now you have me confused. Why is this only happening on TMY-2 and not on the Delta 100. Is it the extra time for the TMAX? And is it the oxidation thats causing the streaking?
    John Belthoff

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Try it and see. Otherwise, if I have to develop 10 4x5s I would use a Yankee tank at 1:1:100 and agitation first 30s and then every 30 sec. Tmax looks great with pyrocat-hd.

Quote Originally Posted by JBelthoff View Post
    OK,

So I will give 2:2:100 or 1:1:50, which I belive is the same thing, a try. However now you have me confused. Why is this only happening on TMY-2 and not on the Delta 100. Is it the extra time for the TMAX? And is it the oxidation thats causing the streaking?

Quote Originally Posted by JBelthoff View Post
    What I am left with is thin negatives, even the Kodak ID letters are thin, and massive streaking across large areas of the film. See this web example. Please note the contrast has been boosted a bit to demonstrate the streaking.

I don’t see any of this on my Delta 100 in virtually the same process except for time in the developer which is only 6:30.

What the heck am I doing wrong?
    Jeff,

First, there is nothing inherently flawed in your procedures. For the negatives to come out very thin, with streaking, there are only two or three reasons, and they all involve the strength and/or condition of the developer. The possible explanations are.

1. The stock solution itself was not mixed correctly.

2. The stock solution has lost most of its strength, either from age or perhaps from contamination.

3. The working solution was not mixed correctly, or it was contaminated by acid left in the Jobo after a previous development, or it was mixed and left too long before use.

Thin negative are usually due to underexposure, but with the right developer and working solution this would not result in streaking. And streaking could be caused by the Jobo method, but if the developer and amount of solution is correct you would get normal looking negatives except for the streaking.

I have personally used Pyrocat HD for years and years with TMY and will state with absolute confidence that there is no inherent incompatibility between the developer and film.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Do you presoak the film? If not, it might help with the streaking problem. I also think your time sounds a bit short.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/