Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bailey Range Traverse - Talk Me Down...

Bailey Range Traverse - Talk Me Down...

I've spent 40 years hiking in the Olympics. I've climbed Olympus and hiked over Anderson Pass. The interior of the park is spectacular. I've seen many photos of the interior, but they are generally mid-day snaps while hiking through.

So here is my crazy idea. Spend a month hiking the Bailey Range Traverse. Spend 3-5 days at each camp in order to understand the area and wait for the right light. Shoot with my 4x5 (I have several friends willing to provision me with film, fuel, food, batteries, etc.)

Anyone ever try something like this before? Advice?

Re: Bailey Range Traverse - Talk Me Down...

I’ve hiked into the Olympics for 2-weeks, but my day hikes are just as productive...

Most people stand outside the Olympic range, and look up at it.

But if you hike up the mountains, you get to look back down! (This is looking North across the Strait to British Columbia.)

Have fun!

Tachi 4x5
    Fuji Pro 160s
    Fuji A 240mm/9
    Epson 4990/Epson Scan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Olympics.jpg  

The best that can happen is that you'll have a great adventure with great pics. The worst that can happen is you'll have a great adventure. What's the crazy part?

I wouldn't take LF into the backcountry without similar intention. But my own method is a bit more targeted when photography is primary. I plan trips for atmospheric conditions conducive to my style of photography, which ends with the goal of making my own darkroom GSPs. I generally hike during the maw of the day, planning camps for suitable shooting locations and timed for golden hours, morning and evening, keeping the schedule loose enough to take advantage of any prospect lighting conditions, no matter how long the lay–over requires. To that end, a book or too, or my new 6 ounce Nook baby – capable of storing an entire library – makes the time passed not shooting, beyond pleasant.

(Shrek)

If it's on your bucket list, and you have the means to do it, you'd be foolish not to.

I recently completed a 9 day backpack in the Wind Rivers with 4x5. I think staying at a locale for at least a coupe of days is a great way to go. I carry grafmatics and the smallest Harrison changing tent. Unless you have quickloads, I strongly recommend the extra weight (about 2 lbs) of the changing tent. Its worth it.

I envy you.
    Peter Y.

Sounds like a great idea for a trip, though I'm not sure I can fathom hauling a months worth of food and LF gear into the Olympics. Maybe you could cache food at some of the camps or have friends resupply you?

Go for it! You only live once. If you have the ability and the dream, then you need to do it.
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

Quote Originally Posted by Peter York View Post
    I recently completed a 9 day backpack in the Wind Rivers with 4x5.
    I have been wanting to do that for some time, but the Grizzlies kind of give me the ebee-jeebees. How did you cope with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    I have been wanting to do that for some time, but the Grizzlies kind of give me the ebee-jeebees. How did you cope with that?
    I spent eight days in the Winds two summers ago. We carried spray and food cans; hung our food, pans and garbage; cooked away from camp, and camped away from our hangs; we made noise when hiking in the woods, and had an awesome time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    I spent eight days in the Winds two summers ago. We carried spray and food cans; hung our food, pans and garbage; cooked away from camp, and camped away from our hangs; we made noise when hiking in the woods, and had an awesome time.
    Thanks, pretty much the way it is where I live too. I ask though because we are starting to see changes in bear encounters as climate change kicks into the next gear. Even the relatively tame and timid black bears are starting to rip into tents with food far enough away from camps.

Grizzlies are a whole other level of bear encounter...