Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film processing in 20x24 print drum?

Film processing in 20x24 print drum?

Hi,
    I just went to my local used camera shop, and asked about a larger tank for processing 8x10 film.
    They showed me a Simma-Colour print drum, for 20x24 prints.

The drum has movable slots, and I can slip six (6) 8x10 sheets in there securely, 3 piled on top of each other on either side of the tank.
    There is shallow ribbing underneath where the film/paper goes.

My question is can I use this for 8x10 film? Or will it develop so poorly that I'll regret this?
    If so, would anyone have an idea of how much solution to use in a tank this large (it stands about 2ft tall)?

Anyway, I brought the thing home, and I'm going to see if it fits on my roller base, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Film processing in 20x24 print drum?

A more specific question: will the "ribs", or slots, leave an impression on the film, even if I process with the emulsion side facing outward?
    I really hope not, because I just had a quick look, and it will process (6) 8x10 sheets and (6) 4x5 sheets all at once.

I'll continue to search until someone can give me a definitive answer.
    Thanks

Ari,

My Jobo 3063 20x24 print drum indicates 300ml for rotation use.

I used it to develop two 8x20 sheets of film (it can hold three) and used 500ml for ease of calculating the chemical ratios and not wanting to take a chance, given the cost of 8x20 sheet film.

Processing looked to be good with no stripping or irregularities. I did do a water pre-soak, if that makes any difference.

Good luck,

Len

The 3063 has longitudinal ribs too and that was a concern I had as well, but nothing obvious.

The real test would be with a uniform part of he negative (e.g. sky), I guess.

Len, thank you for answering; I feel a lot more confident doing this now that you didn't get any rib marks on your film.
    One thing: my 2553 tank requires 500mL, I use 640mL (HC-110 dilution H); wouldn't such a large drum necessitate more chemistry?
    To be sure, I might calculate on a solution-per-sheet basis.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    To be sure I might calculate on a solution-per-sheet basis.

Thanks again!
    As you should. I think Len was giving you the MINIMUM volume, not a recommended processing volume.

I have good results processing 8x10 negative B&W film in a Jobo 2800 series with ribs. Occasionally I'll get an area on the back of the film that does not clear, so I soak in water after I take the negatives out of the drum. That usually clears the area, but very, very rarely I'll get an area on the back that does not clear completely.

Thanks, IC.
    So I'll give it a shot tonight: 100mL of solution per 8x10 sheet, two pre-soaks, some developer, and a lot of prayer.

Thanks to you both.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Thanks, IC.
    So I'll give it a shot tonight: 100mL of solution per 8x10 sheet, two pre-soaks, some developer, and a lot of prayer.

Thanks to you both.
    I'm not 100% sure but I thought a problem with a negative actually sticking to the drum (and leaving a permanent mark on the back of the negative) occurred because I used a pre-wash. Not saying it was caused by it, but my impression was the prewash water did not get to the entire back of the negative, then either the developer, stop or fixer worked its way to the back of the negative it caused a problem when it met up with the 'dry' area.

Since then (over 100 sheets processed) I have not used a pre-wash in the 2800 or 3000 series (Ilford HP5 8x10 film in T-max developer) and have never had any 'uneven' development of the front, but I'm pouring the T-max in as the drum spins.

Thanks, IC.
    I'll have to take that with a grain of salt, as I'm using a Simmons drum, and I'm not aware of the finer differences between Simmons and Jobo paper tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    As you should. I think Len was giving you the MINIMUM volume, not a recommended processing volume.
    ic,

Your assumption is correct. The 300ml was the minimum value indicated on the Jobo 3063 tank.

I did not calculate the amount of chemicals per square inch of film, but thought that by going up to 500ml that it would help deal with it, as well as levelness of the drum. As mentioned, although I could put up to three 8x20 sheets in it, I only used two.

The result was (8x20x2) 320 square inches of film with 500ml of chemicals, one shot of course. Something I should look into a bit more...

Hope that supplies a little more clarity,

Len