Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fomapan films?

Fomapan films?

Hello all,

I was wandering around Freestyle Photo yesterday and decided to explore some new film options to supplement the Kodak and Ilford that I currently and using. Talking to one of the very friendly staff it was recommended to try the Fomapan 200 and process using Xtol for "velvety soft tones without loss of detail". So, I promptly picked up a box of 5x7.

Have any of you used Fomapan and what have you found to be the best process for you? I will be shooting primarily portraits and some landscape secondarily as well. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Re: Fomapan films?

I hven't used Fomapan 200, but I like Fomapan 100 It's a good, capable slow film if reciprocity isn't invoved. Lots has already been written on Fomapan here, and with plenty of examples to drool over. Do a search!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Just Getting Started

I love both. Their Arista.edu Ultra is the exact same film at half the price or less! I develop my 4x5 in PMK Pyro and stand develop my 35mm and 120 in Rodinal 1:100.

I'm just starting with Fomapan 100. I've developed one or two sheets and found my developing methods produce very "thin" negatives. Something I'm going to need to work on a little. But what I've seen of other's work on that film I like so going to persist with it!

Just Getting Started

Welly, try exposing at iso 80 and see what happens.

I have also just started using Foma 200 in 8x10 and whilst I like the silky tones the reciprocity factor if huge and on one of my two exposures (typical that it would be this one) that it had some quite severe tram line scratches along it's length, I can only assume that these originated during manufacture but they were a right PITA to spot out in Photoshop, I suspect they would have been almost uncorrectable if the image had been analogue printed. So whilst I like the look of the image and the price, the jury is still out on the reciprocity and on the scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by wallrat View Post
    Welly, try exposing at iso 80 and see what happens.
    I shall definitely do that!

I tried and liked the 200 speed shot at 100 iso and developed for 7 min @ 70F, constant agitation in pyrocat-hd 1:1:100. The only downer is the reciprocity is really a bear. To give you an idea, a measured 90 second exposure on delta 100 is 3.5 minutes. On Fomapan 200 it's almost 27 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    I have also just started using Foma 200 in 8x10 and whilst I like the silky tones the reciprocity factor if huge and on one of my two exposures (typical that it would be this one) that it had some quite severe tram line scratches along it's length, I can only assume that these originated during manufacture but they were a right PITA to spot out in Photoshop, I suspect they would have been almost uncorrectable if the image had been analogue printed. So whilst I like the look of the image and the price, the jury is still out on the reciprocity and on the scratches.
    I've found something that looks like a hair in the emulsion when I developed my fomapan negatives from last weekend. Also tiny dots-missing emulsion are not that rare as one would hope.
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    I tried and liked the 200 speed shot at 100 iso and developed for 7 min, constant agitation in pyrocat-hd 1:1:100. The only downer is the reciprocity is really a bear. To give you an idea, a measured 90 second exposure on delta 100 is 3.5 minutes. On Fomapan 200 it's almost 27 minutes!
    I used pyrocat HD at 1.2:1:100 for 7 minutes and rated the film at ISO125. And agreed the reciprocity is a beast.