Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Jobo/Bessler/Cibacrome style roller motor base?

DIY Jobo/Bessler/Cibacrome style roller motor base?

After seeing my second Cibacrome motor base die, (probably due to overloading of motor), I am deciding that its time to try and build something more robust myself.

In addition to just having a more robust rotation, I would like to also add some features which I wish the roller base always had. These include;

1. The ability to choose speed of rotation
    2. The ability to alternate direction of spin every set time interval
    3. The ability to vary the spacing of rollers in order to accommodate various sized drums

Buying a motor and connecting it to a roller is not a problem. However, I am wondering how I could achieve the speed of spin control, and the alternating direction of spin for a set time interval? Would anyone electrically/mechanically minded be able to help direct me to the right type of parts needed to achieve this?

Marko

Re: DIY Jobo/Bessler/Cibacrome style roller motor base?

this guy has a few videos on his DIY film processor so maybe there is a few ideas to draw out from there : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jY5oe9ULjQ

There are a few ways to control the DC motor but I am testing out using an Arduino board and a motor shield. The motor shield has output pins to connect to the DC motors. You can use software code to control the speed & rotation direction quite easily or even program it to have different timings for different films.

Here is a quick tutorial http://www.instructables.com/id/Ardu...ield-Tutorial/

Any ideas for AC (220-250)? I would prefer for it not to be software driven. The old turn knob for rotational speed, switch for on/of change of pin direction, turn knob for frequency of change in spin direction.

you can use a power adapter to supply 220AC to whatever DC voltage yr DC motor is. Then you can use something (Pulse Wave Modulation (PWM) controller like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reversible-D...item2578000c44 to control speed and direction. in this case the changing of direction is done manually by pressing a push button.

Hope to see suggestions/ideas from others as I am looking at doing something similar.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Nah, what you need is a Rube Goldberg processor. So the first thing is you need live animals, and maybe helium baloons. Then you need a lengthy control mechanism, which of course should use film.

Let's see, how about a rat with a string tied around his middle, chasing cheese? The cheese is swinging around, kind of out of reach of the rat. The cheese's string has a disk on it, so it stays out of the rat's reach. The string on the rat goes through some pulleys to the drum. As the rat runs around, the drum spins. Random agitation!
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

One source of belt driving small motors is a canabilised sewing machine. These are quite robust and available at the thrift/red cross shops I know - they have solid mounting flanges. The foot speed adjuster (rheostat) could be altered to become a hand/table device. Reversing would require some thinking, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    One source of belt driving small motors is a canabilised sewing machine. These are quite robust and available at the thrift/red cross shops I know - they have solid mounting flanges. The foot speed adjuster (rheostat) could be altered to become a hand/table device. Reversing would require some thinking, though!
    Sounds like a good idea. I was thinking of a electrical light dimmer switch yo control the power output.. But I am not sure how a motor will respond to that. Perhaps the motor also needs to be of certain type?

Perhaps a time delay relay switch would be suitable for reversing the spin direction?

I would be interested in building a motor base myself, but am not savvy in building electronics. Would love to see the results!

I need to keep this in mind for the future.......

I have checked an old sewing machine motor. The mount has a system so that tension on the drive belt can be adjusted. Wattage is 90, Gives about 0.4amp on a 220/240 volt AC supply.
    The Ilfo/Cibachrome base motor is 24W at 0.1A on the same voltage.