Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linhof 5x7 Technika Lensboard Questions

Linhof 5x7 Technika Lensboard Questions

Bob....do you know the story behind the red leather Technika Model III's??? Was this optional on all models (6x9/4x5/5x7) and was there ever any other colors besides red/black on the Model III and Tan on the Model IV/V???

Doesn't affect function of course....but I am curious...and you seem to be the only one who would know!!!

Thanks James

James, I have only been involved with Linhof since 1978 which was a few decades after the colored coverings on the III so I never really got involved with them. Also none of our literature on the old cameras talks about them and there is no one at the factory who was involved with them. There also is no mention of them in The Linhof Camera Story book. During Linhof's history they have produced special finish cameras. The last time was the gold plated 100th anniversary Master Technika. They have also made one ups or limited production runs with a special covering or plating. But none (save possibily the 100th AnniversaryMaster Technika from 1987) are mentioned in anything in print that we have from the factory.

Thanks Bob....I guess it will be one of those topics that will always be shrouded in mystery....but thanks for giving me an answer anyway.

I always wanted a tricked out 5x7 Tech with spoilers and ostrich skin. Maybe we could start a custom hot rod view camera business?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I've seen tan III's and black IV's on ebay.de, so it seems the colour is an uncertain type indicator. Of course these cameras may have been refinished at some time - like the snakeskin Leica fakes.

At least my 5x7" III is black.

I have seen actual cameras and literature from the Model III era that shows the "red" finish Technika. The actual cameras I have seen are 6x9 models....yet a web search turns up one fellow somewhere who has a 9x12/4x5 Red Model III (but no picture). I guess it wasn't to popular....due to the fact that you rarely see them....and nobody seems to know much about them.

On Gandy's site www.cameraquest.com....he says he has seen factory Dark green on Model III's. Dark Green was close enough to black...that I figured maybe Linhof utilized it to keep the line moving when their supplier ran out of black.

Since I have taken possesion of a clapped out Model III.....that needs a new bellows and new covering...I was pondering making it red because the ones I have seen were so cool looking....but somehow not "tacky"....guess that Linhof Styling trancends any type of covering one feels inclined to put on it.

Lens boards for my Technika II 5x7 are impossible to find, but S.K. Grimes has fabricated them for me, excellent copies, for a reasonable price. The lens board issue shouldn't be an impediment for you, in making the decision to buy a Technika 5x7.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I have bouhgt several lensboards on ebay.de, and finally found a Linhof/Linhof adapter which allows me to use the "small Technika boards" on the big Technika. It's a lot easier, so keep looking!