Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Storing Mounted 8x10 Lens

Re: Storing Mounted 8x10 Lens

Nothing special. The lenses sit on cabinet shelves or in drawers when they're at home. For taking into the field I've configured the dividers in my various backpacks and cases to make compartments sized so that mounted lenses fit conveniently.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    How do you store your mounted 8x10 large format lens?

Currently I place my mounted 4x5 lens in Seagram’s 7 Crown Royal sacks and store them with the field cameras inside an aluminum case. The Seagram wraps are not ideal as they are constructed of soft cotton which imparts lint to the lens notwithstanding that all my lens are protected with caps. But the whiskey sacks keeps the scratches off in the backpack.

I know that I should get the Photobackpacker lens cases for the 4x5 lens as they would be similar to the Pentax soft cases that I use for my 67 lens. But the 8x10 lens on their boards (6”) are too large. Thus my question: What do you use?

Thomas
    In the accessory bag, with lenscaps on and wrapped in an old bread bag. The accessory bag is stored on the shelf in the back of a closet. Other lenses and bits for cameras go in a couple drawers, no bags, no silica gel.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Check ou this Photobackpacker case for lenses on a 6x6 board:

http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/m...ory_Code=RPT02
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    Most of my 8x10 lenses are mounted on Linhof-type boards. I then use an adapter board on the 8x10 camera so the smaller boards can be mounted. The lenses then fit easily into cases (Gnass, fishing reel, or similar) for carrying in the field or while stored. The Linhof-type boards make a good "common deominator" that allow lenses to be used on any camera with an adapter board. You can find these boards inexpensively, maybe less than large lens wraps.
    Actually, so do I. The Linhoff/Toyo style boards fit my early Zone VI and go onto my Kodak 2-D with an adapter board.

These 4x4 mounted lenses go into Crown Royal bags (I once bought 100 on *bay) and they stay packed in a LowePro Magnum35 bag with all my 4x5 kit. I can grab-and-go or more likely; I'll customize the load by taking things out rather than building a job specific outfit by adding things to a bag. This way is faster.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Check ou this Photobackpacker case for lenses on a 6x6 board:

http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/m...ory_Code=RPT02
    THAT'S IT!!! I didn't think Photobackpacker made them for 6x6 boards. I'm going to measure the 360mm lens but I'm sure that will take one case all by itself so tomorrow I'll place an order sith Bruce for two _ I think the 240mm and the future 450mm will fit in one case. Thanks for the heads-up post.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Actually, so do I. The Linhoff/Toyo style boards fit my early Zone VI and go onto my Kodak 2-D with an adapter board.

These 4x4 mounted lenses go into Crown Royal bags (I once bought 100 on *bay) and they stay packed in a LowePro Magnum35 bag with all my 4x5 kit. I can grab-and-go or more likely; I'll customize the load by taking things out rather than building a job specific outfit by adding things to a bag. This way is faster.
    All of my 4x5 lens (7) are mounted on 110mm Toyo field boards and two will work on the 8x10 (120mm and 300mm Nikkors). Since I have 3 4x5 monorails, I have the 4x5 to 8x10 adapter boards. When I purchased my first 8x10 lens - a 360mm Schneider Symmar-S - I mounted it on a 110 flat field board envisioning using it with the 4x5 fields as well as the monorails. But that lens is so huge that to mount it on a field camera I would have to remove the rear element, mount the front element on the camera, and with the back removed attach the rear element through the bellows. Impractical, I came to realize, and sold the flat board and mounted it on the 6x6 board for use only with the monorails. When not in use I leave it on the camera inside a Toyo metal case with both caps on. But now I have a 240mm Schneider Symmar-S which, while not as large as the 360mm, it is nevertheless a large lens in of itself. But I have 3 monorails so theoretically I could mount the 240mm with its caps on one of them and the future 450mm Nikkor-M (or 480mm Schneideder Symmar-S - I haven't fully made my mind up yet) on the other. That will work but I dislike the idea of having to remove 2 lens from cameras is 2 different cases when I go shooting with the 8x10 and I would still have to protect the lens while transporting and in and out of the pack. The Domke wraps mentioned above is a good idea and I already use them to protect my field cameras. But the large size sell for around $25 locally so....the Photobackpacker cases look appealing.

Thomas

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

my 8x10 lenses are mounted on linhof type boards as well, except for 2, my artar and this brass petzval i have, they have packards mounted behind them on a 6x6 deardorff type boards. i also keep my linhof mounted lenses in the whiskey bags. i like the idea of lens wraps though,
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Well I ordered this one: http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/m...ory_Code=RPT02 which is scheduled for delivery early next week. It should hold the 240 and the 360 but I don't think it will also hold a 450 Nikkor-M or 480 Schneider Symmar-S.But it will take some weight off the case and make it easier to mount and dismount the camera from the tripod and solve the storage issue.

Thomas

I'm a bit late to this thread but while giving some lenses their winter exercise I took some photos as I thought my approach to the topic might be of interest:
    Snap lid containers ($5 +/- @ walmart). Lenses as disparate as a Fuji 240 (the beauty) to a 35" Artar in barrel (the beast) on 6" lens boards fit. While in storage the lenses rest in the containers with the lids off and no padding in a (somewhat) climate controlled closet - < 60% rel humidity (60% being noted as the minimum for fungus growth). For travel, foam padding is added. Lens ID stickers on all sides. I like the rigid containers because when the lenses are crammed into an already full case or pack there is no danger of damage. They are inexpensive, water tight, dirt tight and drop-kickable (I think). -Chris

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0022.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	87311 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0023.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	87312

I'm with Chris. Also, second-hand stores often have plastic and metal containers in appropriate sizes that aren't currently in production.

Cabelas reel cases ...they are padded, have adjustable dividers, have a side compartment for other gear, hand and shoulder straps, are very sturdy, and for the quality are VERY affordable (and occasionally on sale) ... the large one holds lenses on 6"x6" boards perfectly: LINK