Thread: Prepping for show.

Prepping for show.

Little show coming up, 20-25 prints for a month or two at a local gallery that only shows photographs. There's no "theme" other than trying to sell some photos for Christmas so I am putting up whatever I choose.

Non photographers don't know how HARD the presentation part is. Fun, but very difficult. I can't believe anyone actually does it. I've got enough frames and plex, just having to cut a few mats and , (mostly), switch out things that were in frames for newer work I'd like to see up on the wall.

Photos have to pass wall test to get in the portfolio. They have to thrive under glass on a rail in my studio, first as contact prints then as enlargements. Been thinking about the selection but just started framing today. I have 13 pieces in frames ready to go so far. As I build them out I am putting them along the studio wall. I've got a little bit of work out, 50 pieces scattered around regional museums including some pretty good places. Would love to have more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2986.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	84149 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2991.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	84150 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2993.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	84151

Delivery time late next week. Have time for one more pass through the darkroom but really have plenty to pick from right now, so probably won't.

Re: Prepping for show.

Good on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Langham View Post
    Non photographers don't know how HARD the presentation part is. Fun, but very difficult. I can't believe anyone actually does it.
    Most photographers don't know how hard (and fun) presentation is. Now you have some empathy for all those cursed galleries photographers like to disparage. You're very lucky to have all that work in museums, if you're just now figuring out presentation. I assume you're just gloating.

Hope I'm not coming across as gloating. Just going through the process. This is a little private gallery run by a friend. Am trying to do a good job for her and talk about the process. I've done this a long time, been represented, bought, collected a little, but never enough to make an economic dent in the budget. Stick with me and I will try to talk about the whole process and list the gallery- she's always looking for shows.

I have major parts of a couple of shows that hang on the studio wall. Re-using some of those frames and a few new ones.

Going up for a little hunting tomorrow morning and taking a print to put up in the kitchen of the ranch house where we eat. It's a print I made of a barn up there. Tonight I drove over to have a drink with a friend and we put it up on his mantle next to a Clift, (White House Ruin), to see how it held up. (It was in the 4-runner already...and we had a drink or two downloaded....)

Name:	_DSC1095.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	84160 Barn Gates, Boxelder, Texas, 2012.

Much tweaking left....first to get 25 prints in frames...then start changing mind here and there. The god only knows what she will do in the gallery.

Name:	_DSC1092.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	84161 Going to show The Dot from Shiprock. I've never seen a photo of it before by anyone and I've never seen it up except on my studio wall. Both of these on 20X24 paper.

Name:	_DSC2995.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	84162 Tiny little 5X7 Contact of this. Best seller.

Back to gloating: the point of the forum is to be of help and encouragement to each other. My intention is to be helpful and encouraging- this is a tough process in spite of the fun of it all. Hope you accept it in that spirit.

...I hate the presentation part, but love the end result. It's a labour of love for sure, where every little detail counts and a well executed presentation can really add power to your photographs.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Getting the work in a mat and under glass so it can be presented on a wall is one of the most rewarding parts of the entire process. It's like putting a period (or an exclamation mark) on the end of a sentence. Without seeing the work through to it's logical end, which for me is presenting it on a wall and not on a screen, we never know how the final image can look.

Unfortunately not enough photographers, or students, get to see their work through to the hanging-on-the-wall stage.

Also culling through your work to present a thoughtful body of work is visually very educating. The whole process of putting together a show is one that I enjoy. I am glad you are sharing your process with LFF. No, I don't see it as gloating at all. It will be a small peek into your process for many who are just starting the path.

Here's hoping for many print sales this month! Cheers!

Thanks! You are absolutely right about needing to see work up on a wall, sequenced and presented. Helps a lot on the shooting end.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Langham View Post
    Back to gloating: the point of the forum is to be of help and encouragement to each other. My intention is to be helpful and encouraging- this is a tough process in spite of the fun of it all. Hope you accept it in that spirit.
    Of course. Although your intention was unclear (to me), I hope you can accept that my reading of your Business Forum post included no indication of anything else. Now it does – it was apparently meant to be a follow–my–process educational? Gloat away (I hope you appreciate the spirit of my comments, ergo the ).

P.S. Giving me the bird?

Name:	_DSC2995.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	84162

These guys are going. Opening on December 7th. Still framing and matting. Will deliver on Friday or so.

Name:	_DSC0125.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	84427 A little platinum nude.

Name:	_DSC0140.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	84428 Printed yesterday big for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarr View Post
    ...I hate the presentation part, but love the end result. It's a labour of love for sure, where every little detail counts and a well executed presentation can really add power to your photographs.
    You actually stole my words