Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sinar P Question. Which 8x10 Standard Bearer is more sturdy?

Re: Sinar P Question. Which 8x10 Standard Bearer is more sturdy?

I'm not sure if it was and that's obviously where the confusion lay regarding info I was given.
    Plus I couldn't figure why they would exclude the geared movements on this standard.

The special standard was designed specifically for copy/repro work, going from memory.

What you have does not have the expected shift scale at all, and the rise scale is in the 433.21 (or the P2 version 433.51, which is mostly the same except for color). All the knobs and scale markings on yours are from the P/F era. I cannot explain why the top part is black, but it sure seems to be the older type. The scale graphics and knob styles changed significantly when they switched to the P2/F2 models, in addition to going all-black. Except for the knobs and scales, though, the mechanical differences are more subtle.

I think you'll have a hard time dating it except by comparing small details with the date that the designs for those details changed, which requires quite a lot of digging in the service manuals.

I wonder if this is some special one-off version intended for a specific application.

Rick "who wouldn't want to carry P weight without having all the P geared movements" Denney

Thanks Rick. And I agree on your last quote there. I am returning it and going with all the P geared movements.
    Live and learn (although I admit to having asked for a P 8x10 special standard bearer and got the above standard sent to me.
    This time it'll be the 433.22.

I want to thank everyone for this fine education.

I'll go dig mine out in the next few days. I have P gear, not P2. The 8x10 P standard I have has a different zero point than the usual 4x5 P standard (lower). That allows the center of the 8x10 to more easily line up with the front P standard. There may have been a specific 8x10 P *front* standard as well (I don't have one and have never seen one in person) that also has a rejiggered zero point. My 8x10 kit just has the 8x10 frame, ground glass setup and the 8x10 specific standard, all in clear anodizing.

One comment about black anodizing vs. clear anodizing. The P "Anniversary" model was black anodized and specifically designated and numbered (I have one), but has otherwise standard P configuration, which is different from the P2 configuration. It's possible that there's a bit of mix and match going on with one fellow's bits and pieces there...

If possible, Ii would be great to have a picture of your 8x10 P rear standard bearer, when you dig it out.
    The standard on the left is what I am using now (although both are the same).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1275.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	85115

Hi John

This is the strong P 8x10 bearer what you show us now.
    The other was a not original Sinar bearer because the bearer is black or anodizing but newer booth and it could be parts from a Repro Sinar and machinist did put 2 different parts together.

Cheers Armin

Sorry,
    I came upon this thread a little late.
    I actually have one of the pieces you are talking about. And it is for sale. Also wide angle bellows...

The difference is more that the weight is centred and not off set. That is where the strength comes from...

Some movements are slightly more restricted but both the front and rear need less extensions.

Grant aka adamphotoman

Thank you Grant and Armin.
    This has all been very helpful and I'm glad to say I ended with the correct standard bearer.
    I wanted the heavy duty 8x10 standard bearer.

Does anyone know where I can find a bubble level kit for this standard bearer. I need the inside holder and screws as well as the level.
    I still need to contact Sinar. Has anyone dealt with them recently for such a part?