Thread: questions about monopods and heads

questions about monopods and heads

I've never used a monopod, but I'm thinking about it for my 4x5 portraits using my Crowns. Any thoughts about tripod heads when using a monopod? I've got a Markins ballhead that supports the Crown well enough on a tripod. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: questions about monopods and heads

I use a monopod primarily for TLR and MF SLR, but I don't use a head at all and never wanted/needed one. I wouldn't need/want a head for a Graphic either.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuniform View Post
    I've never used a monopod, but I'm thinking about it for my 4x5 portraits using my Crowns. Any thoughts about tripod heads when using a monopod? I've got a Markins ballhead that supports the Crown well enough on a tripod. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    You don't need a head.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

You might want a quick release for the monopod and the camera, a ball head is not really needed but you might find a leveling head to be useful.

I have a little Giotto collapsible tripod that is around 16 inches folded and surprisingly sturdy even full extended. I've even used it to hold my 8 x 10 Seneca on occasion as it will fit right inside my camera bag or even my brief case. I mention it in this context because one of the legs detaches for use as a monopod.

I often just collapse it and leave it hanging from my Graphic while using it hand held - it acts as a stabilizer of sorts and if I pull out one of the legs it's a great monopod.

You can get a $25 Manfrotto tilting head or an expensive RRS head to get verticals out of the Crown since it lacks a revolving back. Or just screw it in to the mounting hole on the handle side for verticals - waste 30 seconds and save a few bucks.

I think monopods make a lot of sense for handheld large format.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    You might want a quick release for the monopod and the camera, a ball head is not really needed but you might find a leveling head to be useful.
    A levelling head in a monopod? That'll keep him busy.

Jon

I actually think a ballhead would be useful. It would allow you to do things like set the monopod horizontally on a bench or a wall and sit on it for a stable rest. With a bulb release, it could also let you tilt down a bit and hold the extended monopod up above your head for high points of view. There's an awful lot you could do like that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    You can get a $25 Manfrotto tilting head or an expensive RRS head to get verticals out of the Crown since it lacks a revolving back. Or just screw it in to the mounting hole on the handle side for verticals - waste 30 seconds and save a few bucks.

Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post

I agree. I've followed the Goldilocks school of finding a comfortable shooting style, I'm thinking the monopod will be just right. I like the idea of just screwing the monopod into the hole on the handle side for verticals. Simpler is usually better for me.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I was just camping in Death Valley, I learned that while I was happy carrying lots of gear when I was 25, now, at twice that age, I need to carry less and with a better pack!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amcdona...n/photostream/