Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 180mm Apo-Rodagon Enlarging Lens

180mm Apo-Rodagon Enlarging Lens

I'm curious about this lens. From posts I've seen, I gather it predates the 150mm Apo-Rodagon N enlarging lenses.

Any information regarding this lens would be appreciated.

Re: 180mm Apo-Rodagon Enlarging Lens

It was replaced with the 150mm Apo Rodagon-N which is a much better performer. What specifically do you want to know?

Bob do both cover 5x7?

Bob, thanks. What's its coverage, and is it an 8 element lens? I kind of doubt it, but is it multi-coated? When did it come into, and go out of, production?

Quote Originally Posted by AnselAdamsX View Post
    Bob do both cover 5x7?
    Neither cover 5x7. The 180mm Rodagon and, if you are only doing mural sized prints, the Rodagon G 210mm. No Apo Rodagon or Apo Rodagon-N enlarging lens covered 5x7.

The 180mm Apo Rodagon was optimized for 6x and covered 4x5. It was not multi-coated. The only MC Rodenstock enlarging lenses are the Apo Rodagon-N series. In addition, the 180 has a 58mm mounting thread while the newer 150 has a more convenient 50mm mounting thread. The 180 was a 4.8 and the 150 is a f4.0. In addition, the 150 was corrected for 2 to 15x so it has a greater working range then the 180. The 180 was made from sometime in the late 80's till the Apo Rodagon-N series was introduced in the 90s.

Please don't tell my 180mm APO-Rodagon that it doesn't cover 5x7 because that is where I use it;-)

I suspect that Rodenstock specs guard-band to ensure optimum performance under a variety of circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    Please don't tell my 180mm APO-Rodagon that it doesn't cover 5x7 because that is where I use it;-)
    "Coverage" with enlarger lenses is always magnification dependent and needs to be specified for a given magnification.

I was thinking about the 6X optimization spec that Bob quoted for this lens. I know that a lot of the older lenses are optimized for higher magnifications. (Although, the 90's isn't that old.) 6X seems a bit much, given that I don't think people generally print 24x30 prints.

Then it occurred to me that, as magnification decreases, one doesn't need as much resolution in a lens to achieve the same sharpness on the print. Put another way, it's when one prints the largest that they would want the best resolution.