Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Several Questions... Including Film Scarcity

Re: Several Questions... Including Film Scarcity

I met a guy shooting on the coast a few years ago who was using a Canham MQC 57 with a 45 reducing back for all his shooting. Seemed like some version of penis envy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I met a guy shooting on the coast a few years ago who was using a Canham MQC 57 with a 45 reducing back for all his shooting. Seemed like some version of penis envy to me.
    That may also be so, but it would just make the system more versatile with me, and if it enhances my little man, all well and good!

...and BTW, whatever Frank said (not that I read it).

5x7 contact size just seems so small with negative returns to the investment. That's snapshot 1hour photo size.

Seems a lot of work for such a diminutive result.

Are there any buyers who buy art prints in that size? I personally have not run into anyone who has stated they wanted a print smaller, and many who ask for larger(which I'm working on).

Going to the 40"x50" range requires a notable investment, even doing it on the cheap. I found 4'x4' trays at the local hydroponic store for like $80 each.

> I'd be interested to know where you came up with the 1000 sheet requirement to get familiar.

I said to get good, not familiar. My basic view is that cameras are for taking pictures, and that you get better at taking pictures only by taking pictures. I try to shoot 500 sheets a year. I am about 3000 sheets in since I got back to LF in 2005, and I know I still have a lot to learn about making better pictures. But I make better ones now that I did on the first 1000 sheets.

Eric Biggerstaff

Richard,

Paul Kozal is one artist who comes to mind who only prints to 5X7, and they are gems. I have purchased small prints often but I tend to but the image and not the size. Great images are great images, it is not size dependent.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Thank you for all of the great replies everyone! A few things I would like to clarify and comment upon...

I have read all of the front page articles... Many of them several times, as I like to digest them, read some more, and then go back to them to help squeeze out every ounce of understanding I can. With that being said, nothing can compare to good conversation between several people. I really value the opinions and ideas you guys have, I apply them to my own needs, and try to make an educated decision!

As far as my shooting qualifications go, I do pay the bills with my photography... Although, in a vastly different field then landscapes (surf photographer & underwater stock, editorial, and ad work) I've always loved landscape photography but it just hasn't been the bread winner for me. I'm at a place in my life where I'd like to have a LF camera to capture some of the scenic places I get to travel to and see if I can generate interest in art prints. I know several real estate agents who deal with high end homes 1mill+, and they frequently have a need for art pieces when staging a home. I don't expect to pay the bills with my LF shooting, but I will try to monetize it anyway I can obviously. And if nothing else, it gives me a break from my normal daily shooting (digital).

One comment was geared towards how I'm going to have my prints printed... I do have a lab in LA that has done some printing for me that I'm happy with. Yes, its extremely expensive, but I don't have the space for my own printing/scanning, and the time involved in doing so can be better spent out shooting in my opinion. After all, I'm a professional photographer, not a professional printer.

Thank you everyone for your input!!! Keep it coming! I really enjoy reading them.

Quote Originally Posted by uwlf View Post
    I know several real estate agents who deal with high end homes 1mill+, and they frequently have a need for art pieces when staging a home.
    I was approached by spec house builders a few years ago for that purpose. They wanted me to give them framed work to show off their homes, essentially lease free. Everyone seems to think that as a "fine artist", I have no interest in eating.

I'm a professional photographer, not a professional printer
    Photograph means a light drawing or a drawing of light.

Until its printed, there is no photograph. How can you be a photographer without the photograph? And how can you be a photographer when someone else makes your photograph for you?

I sort of understand, I have no interest in matting or framing...that really is tertiary work.

But until its a photograph, a print, all you have is a piece of plastic no one wants to see(a negative may be a light drawing but who wants to just look at your negatives). A photographer who is not intimately involved with the printing of his or her photos, is really just a camera clicker to me. To each his own, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I was approached by spec house builders a few years ago for that purpose. They wanted me to give them framed work to show off their homes, essentially lease free. Everyone seems to think that as a "fine artist", I have no interest in eating.
    Yeah I'm sure everyone in the photography line of work can recount hundreds of "work for free" stories. And it's getting more and more common these days when the new guys try to get business by undercutting the market. Eventually no one gets to eat when that happens. When I'm approached to do free work I usually go out of my way to explain my expenses to them and they usually catch on...Not the case for everyone though. It's a good way to weed out people you don't want to work for