Thread: 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 color film?

2 1/4 X 3 1/4 color film?

Wanting to get into larger format photography and not doing my homework, I rather foolishly (I think) purchased a 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 Busch Pressman. It appears to be in decent condition and I got it rather cheaply. Problem is that I have been able to find NO color sheet film at all for it, neither negative or slide. Does anyone make it? If not, what kind of roll film back should I start looking for? Thanks.

Doug, I made my own film buy cutting down 4x5 sheet film.

Some people have cut film down to size. This requires making some sort of a cutting guide.

The best answer I know of is rather elaborate, I'm afraid. I've had two cameras, one Busch and one Burke & James,
    which had been modified to accept roll film holders. This was done by removing the ground glass and adding two sliding locks like those of a Graflok back. (The ones on the B&J appeared to be actual Graflok parts. I don't know the source of the ones on the Busch.) This required cutting down the back to achieve a correct fit. Once done, however, any accessory that would fit on a Graflok back could be used.

This leaves a problem. Now you need to replace the groundglass. Maybe the original groundglass frame could be modified to be held by the sliding locks. If not, a film pack adapter can hold a groundglass. The glass needs to be shimmed back by the thickness of the metal frame of a film pack.

I hope something works out for you. The Busch is a nice small camera and has useful movements, though it requires a lens with a larger image circle than those usually fitted in order to use the movements.

multiplex

here is some info - posted on photo.net a back in 2000

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000u6Q

fuji used to make color 2x3 film and b&h used to stock it. i know places like photowarehouse, and j&c carry black and white in the size you need. at least if you don't want to deal with cutting film yourself, you could always shoot b&w film

good luck!

-john

I have not found any color film for 2 1/4 x 3 1/4. The only films available are Efke 100, Classic 200, and HP5Plus. That gives a full range of B&W emulsions. Even if you did cut down your favorite 4x5 color films, finding someone to process them might be a challenge. Of course, there is the Do-it-yerself routine.

I have 120 film backs for my Crown and speed which allows me to shoot the occasional color roll but mostly I pretend I am an oldtime news photographer and shoot my mono emulsions.

tim in san jose

Pardon the late response, I've been away.

As mentioned, getting 2x3 color film isn't easy.

But and however, your Pressman will accept a 2x3 size Adapt-A-Roll 620, a roll holder that slips in like a cut film holder. It will feed film from a 120 spool, but must take up on a 620 spool. No big deal. So you can use any emulsion that's available in 120.

I drafted the text about 'em on www.graflex.org, don't want to type it again. Go there to learn more.

Cheers,

Dan