Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Anti-static Bags (aka "pink ziplocks")

Re: Anti-static Bags (aka "pink ziplocks")

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I've never had a problem with keeping my film holders in ordinary zip-locks from Wal-mart (Hefty Jumbos for my 8x10s) and the San Joaguin Valley is a pretty dry & dusty place (although there are certainly drier and dustier places!) Have you had any experiences that justify the expense of special anti-static bags in your neck of the woods?
    Quote Originally Posted by wallrat View Post
    I live next door to you (until 1/1/13 that is) in Stanislaus county. Yes, I've had dust issues, a number of times. One thing to keep in mind is that these are actually cheaper unless you are using the super cheap generic 1 mil bags and thicker. I don't use those because they rip. I currently use Ziplock Freezer Gallon bags which average $0.15 each and I don't like to keep more than 2 holders per bag so I end up with a ton of extra bag in my holder cases. The 6x9 bags fit 2 4x5's perfectly, have only 1/2" extra bag on top, are static free, and cost $0.06 each so it's a win win. The only reason I started the thread is that I won't use 1000 of them in 5 years so I hoped to split it with someone.
    Pretty much exactly my case, except that I recently went to one holder per gallon size bag and there's even more wasted plastic in the way. I like the locking Riteway holders, but they don't fit in quart ziplocks, and the gallons are way over sized. Plus these are cheaper per bag, and the anti-static properties, well, that may not help but it can't hurt.

Just Getting Started

Precisely my thoughts. Even if they were the same price and just as thick and didn't dissipate static, the fit is perfect which actually allows me to fit 1 extra holder in each one of my cases due to less plastic. I just use soft-side lunch pails from target, but they are an exact fit. I can now get 10 holders in each eliminating the plastic from the ziplocks. I'm on the fence as to whether to go 4 mil or 2. I prefer the 4, but I realize the price is higher. I guess it assumes what the budget is of those finally going in on it. I'm ok with the $62 (+ shipping for 500 bags) but I realize others may not be. I'll most likely sell off a hundred or 2 at a slight profit to lower my overall cost (or I may just keep them). The 2 mil is $34 + shipping for 500. $30 isn't a big deal to me but again I realize it may be to others and I'm fine either way. Thanks for everyone's comments and questions. This is a great forum that I enjoy visiting every day!

-Bill

P.S. John, what do you shoot? If you ever want someone to go with you when you go out shooting, ping me I live off 99 and Pelandale in Modesto. I'm moving to Marin county in January though.

That much money isn't a big deal to me either, but part of my mind says "for ZIPLOCKS?? FIVE HUNDRED ZIPLOCKS??"

Just Getting Started

I agree which is why I was hoping to get 4 total people. I'll try to sell a couple of "hundred packs" to friends to cut the price in half (i.e. $15 for 100 bags to them)

You might try staticbags.com. Good prices and you can order small numbers or large with a volume discount. On the left side of their home page, just look at the bottom for "pink anti static bags".

Just Getting Started

I looked at their site already but thanks (and it took a while as it's a horrible site!) They don't carry 6x9 in the zip-top, only open top and the metallic which won't work. I appreciate the post though.

Also, their prices are the highest I have yet to find. They want > $1.00 / bag! 8 bags is $10.50, 16 is $20!

-Bill
    Last edited by wallrat; 15-Nov-2012 at 16:34. Reason: add pricing info

Yeah- I use the "seal top" variety and they are much cheaper. 6x8 is 11.20 for 50 and 9x12 is 13.90 for 50. They stay shut fine but don't have a sliding "zipper". They are the 4 mil pink, not metallic.

Just Getting Started

Hm, but they are still ziplock? Usually seal tops require a heat sealer to melt the top closed, i.e. when selling products, etc. My company has a sealer and uses the seal top bags but they are just basically the tubes that are cut and pre-sealed on the bottom. Maybe this side uses non-standard wording. The other bummer is we have to have 6x9, 6x8 is too small for a 4x5 holder. I appreciate the thought though.

-Bill

They are just like plastic bags that seal by sliding your fingers across grooved male/female pieces at the open end. there is a picture if you click on the "Pink anti static bags" entry at the bottom of the purple bordered section on the left side of the page. No heat involved.

I just checked my wife's zip lock brand bags in the kitchen, and the seal mechanism is identical. I have seen bags with a white slider that seals the bag, and these don't have that.