Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: personal safety / security while photographing

personal safety / security while photographing

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Braughman View Post
    A few years ago I embarked upon a 13 month journey to explore and photograph the American Southwest, the American Northwest, the Alaskan interior and the various provinces of Canada including the Northwest Territories. I packed my trusty 10x8 dorff, 5x4 dorff, hassy, a few changes of clothing, passport, local currency, and a strong supply of adventure. Upon arriving in Washington D.C., I purchased a suitable vehicle, the necessary camping gear, stocked one ice chest with Ilford film and the other ice chest with the necessary beverages.

My plan was to merely follow the many by-roads (paved, dirt, pebbled, rutted, a few shelf roads and a few menacial goat trails posing as roads) and avoid the concrete ribbons. Some days I travelled 10 kilometers other days I travelled from sunrise to sunset. My meandering took me through small towns, rolling hills, and vast spaces devoid of human intervention.

One such location I explored was a small mid-western farming community. It was here I encountered the local "welcoming committee". After spending the night in a farmer's field, I awoke with first light of the day. The smell of the morning aire was intoxicating. As I eat my breakfast, my eyes began to behold the magnificent sight which stretched endlessly before them. As I drove these wide and well-groomed dirt tracts my photographic eye was mesmerised by the abandoned farm houses which appeared on the horizon as sentinels to a bygone era.

One house, which was a mere 20 metres from the road, was a particularly handsome structure. What a perfect opportunity to explore and make some images. I parked the vehicle on the burm in plain visual. After an hour or three exploring the property, I began to make several images. As I was photographing deep in the recesses of the house, I thought I heard voices, hmm my imagination must be running a muck. As I focused the camera, the image I desired appeared on the ground glass with the added feature of four burly men banishing various shotguns, pistols and rifles. Initially I feared I entered a warlords domain, damaged the property, or over stepped my boundaries. Oh hell I thought, what do these rough necks want?

The leader of the group demanded to know what I was doing. Removing myself from under my dark-cloth and leaning on my 10x8 dorff, I stated rather frankly I am attempting to photograph the scene you and your chums are blocking. Could you be so kind as to move? Then it happen!

Suddenly they recognised I was shooting a rather large wooden camera. Hey, what kind of camera is that? My grandpappy had one one of those? Hey can we look? Dang picture is upside down? What kind of film does this thang use? I didn't know they made film? How long you going to be here? How did you find this place? Are you lost? Do you know that Hizel guy (Ansel Adam) who makes those big pictures? Do you work for National Geographic?

I, or should I say, my old wooden camera had ignited a photographic curiosity. Not only did they have a thousand questions but provided me with additional photographic locations, told me many yarns, gave me a historical lesson of the land, the people, and sometimes personal histories. They told me about people I should visit, places to see, provided me with a place to rest my head, and more than thrice a delicious home cook meal. Many a time I would be photographing and people would stop to chat, inquire if I been to this old farm, down this dirt road, encountered any troubles or if I had a decent meal recently. I become known in the community as that guy with the big old wooden camera.

In return for their generosity and friendship I pledged (a pledge I have always honoured) to supply each of those who had befriended me a few images.
    1. I've done that, engaging people often disarms them.

2. You must be a very famous/successful photographer to travel over a year... Wow, can you take me next time? Lol

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: personal safety / security while photographing

Great story, Harrison. I think I met those same guys once in rural Tennessee. I almost fainted from fright when some guys walked out of an old (I thought, abandon) building with metal objects in their hands. I could have run but my legs wouldn't move. After determining that we both were speaking English but still couldn't clearly communicate I offered to leave... and leave NOW. They asked what I was doing there and after hearing the explanation and asking "So, you're not from the Drug Enforcement Agency?"... they told me that the picture would be better from the other side (and they were right). Then they told me that the kind of people they dislike (any other kind of police/revenuer) drive the same kind of car as I rented, with the same county designation on the license plate, and tend to "look just like you look". I have no idea what they were doing in that building but one of them stayed with me until I was finished and even waved as I drove away.

personal safety / security while photographing

Brian, that wasn't a typo. I meant he seemed desperate enough he would have sold or traded a gun by now.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Contrasty incident ... a friend of mine, who was a famous physicist and UCB professor, lived right next door in the nicest section of town to the mayor - a perfect neighbor and
    a very influential person is the community at large. The mayor eventually passed away. But guess who the biggest heroin kingpin in the area turned out to be?
    I don't know -- who? Apparently either the professor or the mayor?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I don't know -- who? Apparently either the professor or the mayor?
    No. It was the heroin dealer three houses away.

Steve.

Drew Wiley

Bill - it was the Mayor. Everyone in the bad side of town knew. The FBI knew it - he had
    them paid off. Basically, everyone but the respectable folks in respectable neighboorhoods
    knew it. He was always tipped off in advance when one of his properties had a search
    warrant on it. The expendable people in his organization went to prison, including his own
    son. He died peacefully of old age at home, an ideal neighbor as always. His main rival was
    blown away in his mid-30's. There was a huge funeral parade of flower-covered Rolls Royces going thru downtown, just like in the movies, with kids crying because they lost
    that nice fellow who paid them in candy to deliver bags of heroin.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    I'm glad that you did not shoot the bear. When black bears stand on their hind legs they are mostly just checking you out - it is not an aggressive move other than wanting to appear bigger and prevent you from attacking. It is rare that black bears will attack a person. When they get aggressive that will make grunting noises before they actually do anything. After that they might charge you but 95% of the time it will be a bluff run - they will turn around and run away. I have been very close to many black bears, including 2 cases with mother and cubs, and have never had one become aggressive. Just talk to them in a gentle voice and they will move along about their business (which can sometimes take a long time). They really do not want to attack you and will do everything else possible before doing so.
    what shocked me is he saw me coming up the trail, he was also on the trail, he wouldnt move, i have encountered bears before up in that area and they have always ran but not this one, he stood his ground, he wasnt really all that big so I figured he felt like he had something to prove, when he stood up, I honestly thought as soon as he comes back down he will attack, i really didnt want to run because i had my camera gear strapped to my back and besides i figured he would chase me for sure, i always carry my pistol when up in the mountains, had a wild hog come after me one time, a person never knows what they will encounter up in there, but with the bear it all worked out for the best, i got some good images that day and a bear didnt get shot, cant say the same for that hog
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

I don't know if any of you have seen this......most of the reports have been in Dutch. Wildlife photographer Adri de Visser was robbed and shot five times in Kenya last month. He was blinded and paralyzed.

http://safaritalk.net/topic/9724-adr...es-in-nairobi/
    http://www.adridevisser.com/
    http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2668/...eschoten.dhtml
    "There are two dirty words in photography; one is 'art', and the other is 'good taste'." - Helmut Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    LOL - I can hear Sean Connery saying that (but don't know if is is Glaswegian or not).
    hes too polite! Billy Connelly would be much better. Much more clydeside...

Les

E, it's bit difficult to put myself in your spot, since I have rather tall frame and am not a fem. But, these stories seem to be more out of Hollywood than from reality (read: fantasy). True, crazy stuff can happen, but you really need to push the odds. I've travelled all the states of the West and SW is my fav. If I don't get smacked by a meteor :>), I intend to get out there for several months in 2014 (long overdue). Most of the cautions have been expressed....I'd underline having extra car keys, phone and spray (+metal letter opener ?). Outside of that keep yourself cool, have water with you, hat, bla bla...and most of all enjoy the trip. Sometimes you can get close to a critter, but you can usually back out. I've ran into a rattler in Hovenweep (sp ?) and also on the central coast of Calif....the rattling is their defense/warning....and I walked away and no one was hurt - pretty much abc stuff. I've been to almost 20 western natl parks and a pile of monuments, state parks....and I can still find wonderful ruins or unexplored (by me) canyons. Yes, the red rock is quite addicting.

Les