Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on the Sinar F

Drew Wiley

Re: Your thoughts on the Sinar F

I have a pretty good idea of how they hold up. I've carried Sinars over thousands of miles
    of rough backpacking and used them in all kinds of weather. I consider the F2 front standard to be much better than the old F+ (which was simply a "multipurpose" standard
    meant for an intermediate support between two separate bellows). This is an interchangeable system, and you have to be wary of hybrid cameras patched together with misc components which are not accurately described (though it might all work OK).
    Recently I gave in to a longstanding temptation and picked up a really nice old Norma. The
    tapered bellows are much more versatile than the standard box-shaped F-series bellows.
    And the whole camera seems a little more rigid, though you give up yaw-free controls if
    this matters - never seemed like such a big deal to me except for tabletop studio work.

Thanks guys. You have all given me plenty to think about. Part of me tells me perhaps it isn't the camera for me. The Ps are probably what I should be looking for. And the two 4x5 bodies I already use should suffice. But the other part of me thinks it's worth a shot given the condition it apparantly is in. If I like it more than my Calumet or my Toyo Omega-View, I'll definately consider retiring them.

It's a fair deal and definately not expensive so I have decided to go ahead with it. I'll let you all know my thoughts on it when it arrives.

Try a Norma!

Andrew "The RedSun"

Keep in mind that it is very hard to find good conditioned P since that model is very old and most of them were in pro's hands for a long time. You may be able to find some decent X and P2, but they are not cheap if they are in good condition.

You would have more choices on other models. Just a few months ago, I purchased a P and a A, both were never used. They sat in boxes for many years and they are in beautiful shape.

While all of you are talking SINAR anybody know where one can buy one of those little plastic deals that were sold aftermarket to catch the lens board just before it falls off by accident. Second item, how about the replacement part that goes inside the standard for the course focus knob to push on. They are almost always broken on used cameras.

Thanks

Just arrived today. Very happy with it. Even though it has no bearing on the brand, I am going to first start by saying that it's in mint condition. No dust anywhere. No marks or scuffs. I don't even see movement marks on the rail or rise columns. No marks where the lens boards go in and out. No marks that indicate a film holder was ever inserted into this. I am shocked at my good fortune. There is absolutely no evidence that this camera has ever been used other than the fact that I am the second owner of it. But I feel like the first. It's a warm feeling. Heh. Enough with the nonsense now.

I dislike the rise and fall. It isn't geared. Standards drop as soon as you loosen them. I love the tilts. Feels a lot more natural for me. On my other cameras, the rails always seem to get in the way of the tilting motion. However, there is nothing holding them up when they are not locked either. Heh. But the movement is very fluid. I really like the feel. Not sure how I'll like them from under a darkcloth mind you. They might be prohibitive. I wish the front standard had a fine focus as well as the rear. But only because I like symmetry. I only ever use the rear fine focus on my Toyo Omega View.

Very happy with the camera. Not sure about the exact model number. Other than it being some sort of 'F', I can't seem to located any literature which gives a definitive answer. Though I think it is either an F1, or an F2. Any help?

Actually, in deciphering all the helpful posts here once again, I believe this to be a Sinar F1 due to the sole lock for the swing and shift. My understanding is that the F2 has separate locks.

And one more thing that doesn't really matter much, but I notice that the camera base is unnecessarily tall. Almost 5"? Tack on another 6" for a #029 and we've got almost a foot up on our tripod. Heh.

Though trying to figure out why, I have realized that this camera can flop over on it's side to switch from portrait to landscape orientation without having to re-orient the back. Though over-tightening the rail base would be my concern.

The F2 only has separate locks after its first two years of production. That's not a reliable test.

The F2 has geared focus on the front standard, like the rear standard does. The F and F1 front standards just lock in place and you focus with the rear standard.

Look for an old Norma clamp if you want one with a lower profile.

Rick "noting that the front and rear standards may not be from the same camera" Denney

Heh. Is there any way to visually confirm which camera it might be? Obviously it's irrelevant but I would like to know the name of the camera. Heh.

Well, in going through the manual, it would appear the graflock back differs between the F1 and F2. The F2 has levers to lift open up the back for the film holders, whereas on the F1, you have to open with with your fingers. The F2 back also has the meter probe holder on it. The F1 does not.

And yes, according to the manual, the F2 has the focus knob / rail on both standards, whereas the F1 only has it on the rear.

I have an F2.