Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older Epson scanners...

I see in black and white.

Older Epson scanners...

The 2480 I bought from someone either here or on APUG has bit the dust. I'm looking again for another one. It dawned on me that now I need the ability to scan 5x7 film, even if I won't be scanning it to print. I may need to scan it to get help on development or other film issues, so...ergh.

What's the oldest Epson I can get that can do 5x7? Is it the 4870? I'm not really sure what all was available.

Anyway, I'm not buying new because I have a chance at a Durst 138s enlarger and I'm not taking *any* chances I won't have the funds to go get it. :P

Re: Older Epson scanners...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    The 2480 I bought from someone either here or on APUG has bit the dust. I'm looking again for another one. It dawned on me that now I need the ability to scan 5x7 film, even if I won't be scanning it to print. I may need to scan it to get help on development or other film issues, so...ergh.

What's the oldest Epson I can get that can do 5x7? Is it the 4870? I'm not really sure what all was available.

Anyway, I'm not buying new because I have a chance at a Durst 138s enlarger and I'm not taking *any* chances I won't have the funds to go get it. :P
    You can scan 5X7" negatives with the 4870 and 4990, and I believe with the 1680.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 1-Nov-2012 at 14:50.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Um...never mind. I just got a V750 Pro for a song.

I made sure.

Um...lucky day?

With my luck, though, they'll say it's a mistake before it ships. Going to cross fingers and toes and then give MUCHO bucks to charity this year if it actually gets here.

4870 works fine. I think the 4990 is very much the same but faster. The 4870 is pretty slow. But it works pretty well for me. They all use Epson Scan, which is the problem.

I have to figure out where my Vuescan serial is. I should be able to redownload it if I can find it. :/

I think I'm going to have to buy Silverfast this time. I'll be starting with Epson Scan, but will likely want to upgrade pretty quickly. I hated Epson Scan the last time. :/

Before you pay for a Silverfast upgrade, I would load the version that comes with the scanner and compare the workflow + results with the Vuescan and Epsonscan to really confirm in your mind that Silverfast will be worth the upgrade price. I think the main difference between them is workflow and how it fits with your working style. A workflow that works well for the way you work is what is going to improve your results. It is not like the software can somehow magically make the hardware have greater true optical sharpness, better dmax, etc. That is why many people find that EpsonScan works just fine for them.

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com

Oh holy cats, it's marked for shipping.

Oh, and Doug, I'm looking at the film holders at BetterScanning. Though I'm going to set up a wet darkroom, having the ability to get nice scans would be awesome. I have a decent printer, though not a *really* nice one, so it's very possible for me to produce digital negatives. I guess it's time for me to read up on the advantages to scanning wet over dry.

Doug's Betterscanning holders are well worth the price.

I'm looking at the variable height mounting station. Since I'll be shooting mostly 4x5 and 5x7 with occasional 6x6 thrown in there, I'm sure it would work well for my needs.