Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So you're stuck on the side of a mountain in a cabin with no access to chemicals...

So you're stuck on the side of a mountain in a cabin with no access to chemicals...

...but you do have a wide array of household products (cleaner, bleach, coffee, oil, vinegar etc. etc.) in this cabin. There is no escape from the cabin and you've just captured a number of fantastic shots that you really want to develop. What could you use to develop those negatives?

I ask the question because I'm genuinely interested in what, if anything, you can use to develop negatives without using traditional developers.

Cheers!

Welly

Re: So you're stuck on the side of a mountain in a cabin with no access to chemicals.

Barrie B. Melbourne, Australia Barrie B.'s Avatar

Re: So you're stuck on the side of a mountain in a cabin with no access to chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    ...but you do have a wide array of household products (cleaner, bleach, coffee, oil, vinegar etc. etc.) in this cabin. There is no escape from the cabin and you've just captured a number of fantastic shots that you really want to develop. What could you use to develop those negatives?

I ask the question because I'm genuinely interested in what, if anything, you can use to develop negatives without using traditional developers. Cheers! Welly
    Greetings Welly, What are you going to process said negatives with when printing ? ..Cheers Barrie B
    Wisner 4 X 5 Tech Field owner , too .

Development isn't the big problem. A variety of mild reducing agents at the right pH with a bit of accelerator, restrainer, and preservative will do the job. Caffenol is a striking example. Fixing the image is the challenge. The invention of Photography was held back because no commonly available chemical acts as a selective silver halide solvent. It was Sir John Herschel's discovery of hyposulphite of soda (sodium thiosulphate) in 1819 and its photographic fixing properties that constituted the critical breakthrough. That Herschel didn't tell W.H. Fox Talbot about this discovery until 1839 was essentially a case of twenty years wasted!

If your cabin has a swimming pool and if there is chlorine reducer in the pool chemicals store then you are in business. Chlorine reducer is sodium thiosulphate. And it's a lot cheaper from the pool shop than the photographic shop.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Sodium thiosulphate and sodium sulfite are actually quite easy to come by if you know where to look. I got a 25 kg bag of each some time ago for not much, then all you need is some metol for D23. Though hypo may not fix t grain films very well for the long term.

That's what I use. D23 and plain hypo. Cheap as dirt.

Coffee I drink...

I would add all the ingredients together and then drink the mix.
    I would leave a note giving explicit instructions for how my shots should be developed!
    This would make me instantly famous and millions would buy prints!
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

+1 I've had some fun with it with very good results.

multiplex

make a big pot of instant coffee ( if it is "good coffee" you're screwed )
    soak your film in it for a few hours

take your household table salt
    and saturate a gallon of water with it.

after you get an image on your film
    you will rinse it off and then soak it in your super saturated salt solution
    to stabilize/fix it ...
    when youget back to captivity
    you will rewash and refix in normal fixer ...

enjoy !
    john

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    Sodium thiosulphate and sodium sulfite are actually quite easy to come by if you know where to look. I got a 25 kg bag of each some time ago for not much, then all you need is some metol for D23. Though hypo may not fix t grain films very well for the long term.
    Really? I have not heard that, just that it takes longer.