Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens cells that fit a Copal 1

I see in black and white.

Lens cells that fit a Copal 1

I have a Copal 1 shutter laying around doing nothing. The Geronar cells that were in it have fungus that *does* effect image quality, so I'm looking for something else.

Are there any older, somewhat interesting lenses that could fit in a Copal 1? Bonus points if it's 250-300mm and covers 5x7. Also note that I have no qualms whatsoever about hacking things to work. It isn't like my cameras are pretty or anything.

Re: Lens cells that fit a Copal 1

240, 270, 305 G-Clarons, all f/9. If Schneider's coverage claims are to be believed, they all cover 5x7 at infinity

If interesting means really really inexpensive you're probably out of luck.

I have some Ilex Caltar 215mm cells for sale that are designed after the Kodak Commercial Ektars:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-f6-3-Cells-25

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

$400 is probably the absolute high limit of what I could spend, but I'm not looking for something for $100, no.

If I can't find something that is what I want in my price range, I'll likely give the shutter away. Might as well let it find a home with someone who can use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    I have some Ilex Caltar 215mm cells for sale that are designed after the Kodak Commercial Ektars:

Jon
    I saw those. I have a 175mm lens already, though, so I'm thinking that for what I want to do (5x7 portraits) something longer would be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post

Jon
    I saw those. I have a 175mm lens already, though, so I'm thinking that for what I want to do (5x7 portraits) something longer would be a better choice.

In the mean time, I have a huge 300/4.5 that I plan to use wide open with slower film. However, that can only go so far, you know? Maybe I should trade the Copal for a Packard.

Any interest in some 210 Geronar cells that are perfect?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Any interest in some 210 Geronar cells that are perfect?
    I'm basically dead set on the 250-300mm focal length. I'm looking at building a decent 2 lens 5x7 kit and the 175mm/300-ish combination seems like it would be the best option.

Actually, thinking about it more, I'd almost say that the most wanted would be a 360 Heliar, but it's out of price range. I have the extension bed for the 5x7 so I could probably focus something up to about 500mm well, but I don't want to go too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    Actually, thinking about it more, I'd almost say that the most wanted would be a 360 Heliar, but it's out of price range. I have the extension bed for the 5x7 so I could probably focus something up to about 500mm well, but I don't want to go too long.
    Remember that your maximum aperture number is a direct relationship with the size of the hole in the Copal 1 shutter. So longer focal lengths will be ever increasingly slower lenses. That's why they can sell a 300mm in a Copal 1 shutter. You have to live with f9. Fuji even put a wonderful 450mm in a Copal 1 but it is f12.5 Smaller aperture works against you in portraiture. I'll PM you with an idea though.