Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "ecbuyonline" Sinar 8x10 Bellows

Re: "ecbuyonline" Sinar 8x10 Bellows

Cletus,

I just took both my bellows off from both camera's and measured 12 3/4" square for the metered-back bellows, this is the widest dimension of the frame and I get 11 1/4" for the standard, non-metered Sinar back bellows. As such, it's clear the light trap dimensions also be be different, so different frames and different accessories. So yes, to Frank's point, the metering back can add confusion and un-necessary cost to the equation.

I do use a metering back for both 4x5 and 8x10 studio work when I have the time and inclination to use the probe and a Profisix ... my metering practices traveling outside are quite different so I tend to use the non-metering back and travel a bit lighter ...

In short, the lens boards and front standards are "standard" ... the 8x10 back frames and associated bellows are not, there is quite a difference between metered and non-metered ... so caveat all those in need of bellows. My cameras are P and P2, I don't have dimensions for the F versions.

Best,
    Rudi

Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Amadeus - Thank you for the info! So if I understand what you're saying about the differences, it is only the actual size of the rear mounting frame? I wouldn't have thought it would be Sinar's method of mounting, which is pretty much the same 'groove with locking bar" for standards, backs, lensboards, etc. As long as it's only the size (difference between the Sinar Met. and non-Met. back bellows), I can verify the size from ecbyonline.

In fact, here is the size they gave me for the back frame of their standard "Sinar P2" bellows, which is pictured on their site attached to a metering back. They're saying the dimensions of the rear frame of their bellows is 324 x 324mms, or 12.75"x 12.75". Does that sound like the correct size for the metered back?

Thanks a lot for helping with this question, I'd really like to order a set of these, but as mentioned earlier in this post, I don't want to order all the way from China only to get the wrong thing.

Yep - its official. I just returned home last night and set up my 8x10. I extended the bellows, got a flashlight out and it is FULLA HOLES!!! crud, I shoulda checked that right off the bat. So that explains the odd 'marks' on my negatives! Sorry to waste everyone's time with that dumb question!

So Amadeus kindly enlightened me on the differences and dimensions between M and non-M Sinar backs, so at least I know what I'm looking for now. Custombellows came back with a quote about equivalent to the price of Sinar bellows on eBay, so that's possible, but I'll have to send my frames across the sea for two moths and have no camera in the interim.

Last question about ecbuyonline - I just emailed them again to ask, but a Google search turned up that a new set of bellows from them might arrive at my door withOUT the mounting frames. There have been a couple folks here who've bought these - did they come complete from ecbuyonline, or did you have to work on them first, to install on your camera? I'm afraid if I get these, they'll come without frames and I'll have to wreck mine off my old bellows and try to install on the new ones.

Referring to your last question, I bought bellows from ecbuyonline. They worked great and looked as nice as any bellows I have ever seen. If I was doing camera repair I wouldn't hesitate to buy their bellows again.

dexmeister - thank you, that's quite encouraging. Do you recall whether the bellows you got from them came complete with frames, or did you have to install yours on the new bellows? Or send your old ones to have the frames installed?

ecbuyonline doesn't say anything about this in their listing, but an old thread from APUG mentioned they might not have any frames as shipped and you have to use your old ones. I'm not nuts about having to learn a whole new discipline before I can install a new bellows from this vendor.

Their 4x5 Linhof Technika bellows were sent without any other mounting hardware so you need to clarify what they do with Sinar bellows, I doubt they include the frames but am never sure. The Sinar frames are simple one-piece "squares" compared to the multiple piece Technika bellows mounting set-up, which was too fussy for me to want to do it again (I'd pay for real Linhof bellows).

I know that with the British bellows, you can send them your frames and they will glue them up - or you can do that yourself with simple contact cement and clamps/heavy books. I did that once and even I could manage, the flat surface area gives plenty of glue contact and it is easy to visually check that you did it right.

The advantage of the British bellows is that they would be new versus buying some used Sinar OEM bellows on eBay with unknown history. I don't know if 8x10 Sinar bellows are even available new and if you bought them retail I bet they would be very expensive.

You could maybe shoot 4x5 while the 8x10 bellows are being made?

To clarify, I bought them for a tachihara and they came without any mounting hardware of any sort. I had to cement them myself. It was really easy to do.

dexmeister - thanks again and I suspected this might be the case with the ecbuyonline bellows. But then, maybe it won't be so bad if I have glue the frames on myself. Custombellows did indeed quote new bellows using my existing frames and the wait is up to two months. I guess there's no way to get around losing my 8x10 for a while. It's not much good to me now anyway!

And yes, new Sinar bellows run more then I paid for the whole camera, lenses, etc.! Not a likely option for me.

And you're right, I don't trust eBay with the "I don't know anything about this camera thingy, but it's used with no obvious RIPS OR TEARS for $350" bellows. Geez.

New Orleans, LA

Maybe this should be a different thread but...has anyone used Turner Bellows in Rochester? http://www.turnerbellows.com/photographic_bellows.html. I got a quote comparable to Custom Bellows without the hassle of shipping across the pond.

Ecbuyonline does not supply frames, I asked once for my old Technika.
    Gluing bellows to the frames is not what I'd call "fun", but well worth the effort, nonetheless.
    Their products are very good, and if I needed bellows replacement, I'd order from them again.

Asking once again, can anyone comment on the construction of the "ecbuyonline" bellows? Does it look like a single-layer synthetic material, or a conventional three-layer construction? Is it as flexible as the original? Thicker or thinner than the original?

Kumar