Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Dark Cloth

DIY Dark Cloth

Anyone here had DIY dark cloth? i'm thinking of making one because the one i'm using is a bit funny grabbed it from my 3 year old kid.
    Would you share your DIT darkcloth dimension? preferrably for 4x5. i used speed graphic and it's PITA when using it with a wide lens!

thanks guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12902_534541693226196_1098002742_n.jpg  

Re: DIY Dark Cloth

thanks a lot vinny!

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post

haha this video is funny! nice idea! i think i have jacket like that but it's too small

http://youtu.be/XAwIWZ9H3ZU

A capable mother/wife/girlfriend is essential to making a quality dark cloth. I asked my Mum to make a dark cloth from blackout curtain fabric.

The darkcloth is made from a single rectangular piece of fabric measuring roughly 30"x40", folded in half lengthways and sewn down one end. The other end was sewn back on itself about 1" to form a pocket for a loop of elastic (This end stretches over the camera back)
    Finally, the bottom edge is sealed shut with velcro.

It's a simple design but works quite well.

Cheers,

Malcolm.

I use my jacket/windbreaker/shirt. (I wear a t-shirt under my shirt, so it's really not a big distraction)

I made one years ago when I started LF: 40" long by as wide as the roll of fabric would let me, about 42" If I remember rightly. A white piece of fabric and a black one: I sewed it together by hand one evening while sort of watching TV. It's still in use and works excellently up through 11x14.

A few years ago my oldest daughter made me a new one as I wanted something smaller and lighter for my new (to me) F64 backpack. Black interior with a red, yellow and orange exterior that makes it look like I'm on fire. Very pleased with both of them and they're super easy to make. I spray them with waterproofing goop every few years.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

I see in black and white.

I have a linen skirt that was obviously made for someone with less hips than I have. I'm taking it apart, sewing some blackout fabric on the *outside*, and sewing the elastic back in one end. Voila, awesome dark cloth that works well, cost me very little money, and is more comfortable than other things I could do. It'll be UGLY AS SIN, though, due to the fact that it'll be white instead of black.

Maybe I should get some fabric dye and dye the fabric side of the blackout fabric.

My mom and I made one using fairly dense black fabric on the inside and silver stuff meant for ironing boards on the outside. On one end, we put a channel with a drawstring through it and along the sides that meet to make it a tube, we put velcro. I mostly use it with a Cambo monorail and I tighten it down with the drawstring. When I use it with my Speed Graphic, I mostly just toss it over my head (or I use a black hooded sweatshirt I have).

For 4x5, I've been won over by the double t-shirt dark cloth. It's great for so many reasons.