Thread: Saunders/LPL enlarger

Saunders/LPL enlarger

Hi, I own a LPL/Saunders C7700 Pro enlarger which I am very happy with. (dichroic color head, Schneider Componon-S 50/2.8 lens, 1 metre column, max neg size 6x7).

I have however purchased a 4x5" LF system recently and now want to print 4x5" as well. I can now get hold of a dichroic color head for the Saunders 4550XLG enlarger (head only) to print my 4x5" negs.

My question is: Can the 4550XLG's 4x5" head be used on the C7700 Pro chassis? Would I still be able to use the 50/2.8 Schneider? Or would I need to purchase a new chassis and baseboard for the 4550XLG?

Thanks for an excellent LF source.... Hennie

Saunders/LPL enlarger

Hi,

I own a 4550 XLG and am VERY happy with it - very stable, great even light output. I don't know anything about the C7700, so I cannot answer that question, BUT you will need a new enlarging lens - a 150mm or so for the 4x5 format. You should always use what is considered a "normal" lens for any of the formats you want to develop:

35mm - 50mm lens

6x4.5 - 80mm lens

4x5 - 150mm lens

etc.

Have fun in your darkroom:

Juergen
    Juergen

Saunders/LPL enlarger

My 4550 XLG has a column that is about 53 inches long. I don't know anything about your C7700. I rather doubt that adapting the 4550 head to that column will afford you the stability and enlargement potential that the properly sized column could afford. By the same token, it probably would cost nothing to try. So long as no modifications that were non reversible were done. You might be interested that the 4550 that I have has a power supply since the bulb in that head runs on lower voltage. Good luck.

Saunders/LPL enlarger

In reply to your questions:

I owned both of these enlargers and the answer to your first question "Can the 4550XLG's 4x5" head be used on the C7700 Pro chassis?" is a definite NO. The column size is much bigger on the 4550XLG and the mount is totally different.

The answer to your second question "Would I still be able to use the 50/2.8 Schneider?" is a definite YES. It doesn't matter what format enlarger you use, the focal length of the lens you use depends on the film size in question. So, yes, your 50/2.8 Schneider will work exactly the same way on the 4550XLG. And just so you know.... the lensboards used on the 4550XLG are exactly the same as the ones used on the C7700. Unfortunately the same is not true for the negative carrier. The negative carriers on the 4550 are very well made hinge type carriers, much like the ones on the C7700, but cost about twice as much.

The answer therefore to your next question "Or would I need to purchase a new chassis and baseboard for the 4550XLG?" is a definite YES.

Hope that answered your questions.

Saunders/LPL enlarger

In addition to my last comment:

Your 50mm/f2.8 Schneider can be used on the 4550XLG, but with a 35mm negative carrier and 35mm film of course.

For larger formats you will need longer focal length lenses.

Saunders/LPL enlarger

On the lens subject: Think twice before buying a 150mm Schneider APO-Companon HM lens for the LPL, since the 55mm lens board has been discontinued. Just an FYI. (If anyone has a 55mm board to sell, let me know!)

Saunders/LPL enlarger

The 55mm lensboards are available everywhere. I've checked around and there are lots of camera shops stocking them.

Saunders/LPL enlarger

The 55mm lensboards aren't longer available in Germany or Belgium.