Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burke & James 8x10 restored with Baby Graflex Shutter and 300mm Industar

Burke & James 8x10 restored with Baby Graflex Shutter and 300mm Industar

This is my first post here. I just finished restoring my 8x10 B&J camera. I also used a baby Graflex Shutter mounted on a home made lens board to use barrel lenses. The photo here shows the 300mm Industar f4.5 lens. I managed to flash synch the shutter by running a cable through the lens board to the back. This type of shutter will only synch with electronic flash in the T setting on the Graflex shutter. This is ok in that I have a fast hand and I can close the curtain fast. The B&J had it's ugly grey paint stripped off and I used a tung oil finish. The camera was under $400. The Graflex cost $25 as a parts camera, and the 300mm Industar came from Ukraine at under $100. Not a shot taken yet, but from what I have seen online, this Industar seems like a great lens, even more useful now that I have B to 1/1000!!!!

Re: Burke & James 8x10 restored with Baby Graflex Shutter and 300mm Industar

Here is the photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B&J 8x10 finished 1 copy.jpg  

Here is a side view.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B&J Finished 2 copy.jpg  

アナログ侘・寂

Resourceful - although some will undoubtedly criticise you for destroying a Speed Graphic.
    But, as you said, it was "parts camera", so the damage was already done.
    But, does it add a lot to the total weight? What's the weight of the "shutter box" itself?
    Probably not very practical for hiking, but neither is the BJ 8x10 camera

hmm.. you mean industar actually covers 8x10? (considering they were made for 5x7 it sort of surprises me)

Fantastic all around

Nice job on this. Enjoy it.

アナログ侘・寂

BTW, I love the job you did with the camera. It looks very nice!

Looks great!

looks great. good idea on the Graflex shutter.