Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Angulon 90mm f/8 - focal length/angle of view using only front element?

Re: Super Angulon 90mm f/8 - focal length/angle of view using only front element?

Um, er, ah, I have a really crappy old 90/8 SA gathering dust on my desk so I asked it whether its front cell will form an image. It will.

Sevo, my lens' front cell has a trim ring engraved Super-Angulon 1:8/90, the front cell's front element has a large not very curved front surface and its rear element has a small not very curved rear surface. I think I can rule accidents out.

Re: Super Angulon 90mm f/8 - focal length/angle of view using only front element?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Um, er, ah, I have a really crappy old 90/8 SA gathering dust on my desk so I asked it whether its front cell will form an image. It will.

Sevo, my lens' front cell has a trim ring engraved Super-Angulon 1:8/90, the front cell's front element has a large not very curved front surface and its rear element has a small not very curved rear surface. I think I can rule accidents out.
    I stand corrected. It does, much more out than I expected, perhaps at 3x the original focal length...

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    As far as using half a lens: if it works for you and you like the results, then it works. Don't expect normal results, though.

Try taking off the tripod mounting block and putting it behind both standards in their normal modes. That lets you get them closer together (the block blocks).
    Thank you for this advice, in fact I already tried putting both of them behind the mounting block and it seems that I couldn't have the infinity, I must say that I was in my living room.... Now that I've found an old Berlebach tripod and made a protecting case for the Cambo, I will do my first attempts outdoor. It will be easier to test it.

Yes, It seems that I didn't choose the easiest gear for my came back to LF... I choosed a 90 mm to use with my rollfilm holder in 2x3 format, thinking that I would have a good wide angle lens when I'll dare working later in 4x5. I bought at the same time a Fujinon W 180 f5.6 but still expecting it, in order to use it as a short tele in 2x3 and as almost normal lens in 4x5.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Moreaux View Post
    Yes, It seems that I didn't choose the easiest gear for my came back to LF... I choosed a 90 mm to use with my rollfilm holder in 2x3 format, thinking that I would have a good wide angle lens when I'll dare working later in 4x5. I bought at the same time a Fujinon W 180 f5.6 but still expecting it, in order to use it as a short tele in 2x3 and as almost normal lens in 4x5.
    After many years of LF with Cambo and "normal" lenses I bought a 90/5.6 with the exact same logic in mind. I think that was 5 years ago and I've used it only once -- to test it with a roll film back. It produced really nice images but was waaaaaay too much effort. I use with a bag bellows, recessed lens board, and the tripod block behind the two standards. With that set-up I don't think I really needed to reverse the film standard. Even though a 135 or 150 mm lens is not "normal" with a roll film back I'd rather use that lens.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    After many years of LF with Cambo and "normal" lenses I bought a 90/5.6 with the exact same logic in mind. I think that was 5 years ago and I've used it only once -- to test it with a roll film back. It produced really nice images but was waaaaaay too much effort. I use with a bag bellows, recessed lens board, and the tripod block behind the two standards. With that set-up I don't think I really needed to reverse the film standard. Even though a 135 or 150 mm lens is not "normal" with a roll film back I'd rather use that lens.
    Thank you Brian!

The point is that I 've mounted the camera like it was on the Ebay picture... Then I've read the SC2 user manual and noticed that the front standard was'nt mounted well, it was in the opposite direction. I will try to find a 135 or 150 mm in a near future. Thank you for your advice !