Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Dichro 45 Color computer

Problem with Dichro 45 Color computer

Everything works except the control cord that you plug into the timer. The enlarger light stays on no matter what, it does not cycle.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks, Bill

Re: Problem with Dichro 45 Color computer

I have a Dichro 45 Color head- not sure of the exact model but it's the one that expects a vacuum hose to be hooked up to it for cooling and has a transformer as heavy as a brick. Have you considered plugging a power strip into the enlarger output of your timer and plugging in the control cord and light cord into the power strip? In other words everything plugs into your timer. That's the way mine is working.

I know this is a stupid question but have you checked your timer? The timer should shut off the power to the enlarger when the time is over. If there is no power there should be no light.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Eric and domaz, Yes I did check the timer, hooked it up to a regular lamp and it works as it should. I plug the color head into the wall and flip the switch and it comes on, everything works.
    The skinny control wire is not plugged into anything and the enlarger/light is on. I plug the skinny control plug into the timer and the light stays on all the time.
    Capt'n Joe said not to control it using the main power plug plugged into the timer. Said it was not good for the computer part of the head.
    domaz, mine has a fan inside if it and does not need anything for cooling and there is no transformer.

Carol Flutot is mailing me my lenses and this is my only hold up now. Is there anyone out there who can look at this for me? I know there is no guarantee, but I really could use some help.

Thanks, Bill

Bill, I thought you had a spare incandescent head for that enlarger...just use that 'till you get the super-whizz-bang-computer controlled geek attracter sorted out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill, 70's military B&W View Post
    Eric and domaz, Yes I did check the timer, hooked it up to a regular lamp and it works as it should. I plug the color head into the wall and flip the switch and it comes on, everything works.
    The skinny control wire is not plugged into anything and the enlarger/light is on. I plug the skinny control plug into the timer and the light stays on all the time.
    Capt'n Joe said not to control it using the main power plug plugged into the timer. Said it was not good for the computer part of the head.
    domaz, mine has a fan inside if it and does not need anything for cooling and there is no transformer.

Carol Flutot is mailing me my lenses and this is my only hold up now. Is there anyone out there who can look at this for me? I know there is no guarantee, but I really could use some help.

Thanks, Bill

I do have an incandescent head for it, but I believe there is fungus on the glass. I took them apart and scrubbed them, but I do not know if that will affect the images or not? I'm not an expert on fungus/glass, but that is what I suspect it to be. It was only a small amount in a couple of places.
    There is a cold light for sale for about $125, is that a good option, Fred Picker sure thought so.

Bill

Bill, sunlight kills fungus. I wouldn't know whether $125 is a good deal or not. I don't believe in over-complicated solutions to simple problems, so I use incandescent diffusion enlargers only. Even a condenser enlarger is too harsh for me. If you have a few negs., print "em with the light bulb head to see if there are any problems with it. Empirical knowledge is hard to beat. Theory is interesting, but must be proved. The proof is in the pudding...or the proof of whether that head is any good is in the print.

premortho, IC-racer was kind enough to find me a Besler 45S, that is a fully mechanical head. Beseler went mechanical when it gave up on 'computerized heads'.
    He found me one on e-bay and I grabbed it. I believe it will give similar results as a cold light. So now I have both.
    I am just getting into LF and I'm just setting up the DR. All my lenses are at Flutots being CLA'd.
    I do not have a negative YET!!!
    But I'm getting closer.
    Bill

Everyone, the Beseler 45S arrived, I put it on the enlarger and it works perfectly.
    Thanks to everyone and esp to IC-racer.
    Bill

Good news, Bill. Good luck with it.