Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom in laundry room?

Re: Darkroom in laundry room?

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    Dryers will produce dust in the air. Period.
    Dryers connected to an external exhaust won't add to the dust inside. Handling the laundry might, though.

Like Brian, I use a small, separate washroom to hang my film; it's easy to control the dust in there.
    When I bring the negs to the laundry room/darkroom, a shot of compressed air will take care of any dust.

Thanks Powlowski,

I can tolerate just about anything, even if it drives me to distraction, like dust on negatives, which I hate, but can tolerate. Thanks for the suggestion of an air purifier/filter. That might be the green light.

My darkroom has been in the laundry room for about 5 years now and never had any unusual dust issues. I hang my film to dry over the laundry sink (my only sink) and ask my wife not to use the dryer, or do anything, in there when film is drying.

My enlargers are set up in the adjascent walk-in closet (which was emptied of clothes and other closet items) and serves as my dry side. I am reasonably careful to keep it clean, but I'm not a neat freak and have never had any significant dust problems while elarging, or any other time. I still keep a couple cans of dust-off handy when printing and a blower brush or two, but that's pretty much good practice for any darkroom, laundry or not.

I'm of the "go for it" opinion, like several others here. You'll be glad you did. Speaking for myself, my darkroom is one of my most prized bits of photography gear!

How do you guys deal with all the dusty, linty crud that accumulates under and behind the washer & dryer? Do you move the applances when you mop the floor?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

in the dark since 1965

Growing up, I used darkrooms in laundry room, pump cellar, bathrooms,under a barn, a furnace room(next to a coal bin). No wonder I enjoy my attic! Of course, I also walked three miles to school, Kneedeep in the snow, uphill both ways!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    How do you guys deal with all the dusty, linty crud that accumulates under and behind the washer & dryer? Do you move the applances when you mop the floor?
    Use a shop vac to remove dust and use a air purifier.

If I had any other choice of locations, I would take almost anything over a laundry room darkroom. That said, you use what you have. A laundry room darkroom would be better than my current solution of kneeling in the bathroom developing film in the tub.

I am setting up a darkroom right now in my laundry room so I appreciate all the tips. I made my first enlargements last night, and there was some dust, but I really don't have any good ways to dust off the negative yet. The biggest advantage of large format is that dust is much smaller problem because of the degree of enlargement. Try eliminating dust and scratches from 16mm negatives and large format becomes wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by boswald View Post
    Growing up, I used darkrooms in laundry room, pump cellar, bathrooms,under a barn, a furnace room(next to a coal bin). No wonder I enjoy my attic! Of course, I also walked three miles to school, Kneedeep in the snow, uphill both ways!
    Isn't everything uphill anywhere from where you are in Vermont? Seemed that way when we were backpacking on the Long Trail.