Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: BTZS vs JOBO

Re: BTZS vs JOBO

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Jeff, I regularly do stand/ semi-stand in BTZS tubes. The tube is kept upright and is filled to the brim with developer. Been doing it for years.
    I was going to post that as well. Completely agree. Stand in a BTZS tube is quite doable and easy. The only thing I don't like about the tubes is scratches. Always always always get them. I need to sand down the inside but haven't yet. I can actually see the bumps in my 8x10 tube. A bit unfortunate as it'd be perfect otherwise.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitz View Post
    I was going to post that as well. Completely agree. Stand in a BTZS tube is quite doable and easy. The only thing I don't like about the tubes is scratches. Always always always get them. I need to sand down the inside but haven't yet. I can actually see the bumps in my 8x10 tube. A bit unfortunate as it'd be perfect otherwise.
    I assume you made the tubes yourself or bought them from someone who made them? I've had two sets of BTZS tubes bought from The View Camera Store, one 4x5, one 8x10. Never had a scratch from either set after using them for several thousand photographs (mostly 4x5, fewer 8x10). If you're getting scratches from the tubes and they aren't home-made they should have been returned, defective BTZS tubes aren't normal in my experience.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Okay, so, so far I've been processing my 4x5 in tanks. As I do it more, I'm liking it less and less. The fact that it has to be done in total darkness is a big minus. Right now, I use the darkrooms at the school where I'm taking the class, but, once that's over, I'm back to no darkroom. So let me open up this question to:

• I need a system to process 4x5 and, eventually, 8x10 film.
    • I have to be able to process in light (i.e., no darkroom necessary/home).
    • It has to be affordable. I would love to have one of those Jobo processors, but I can't afford the $1000s those cost. Anything for under $500 is what I'm looking for (emphasis on "under").
    • It has to use little developer. I found myself going through my one gallon jar of developer quite fast. Am I wrong/unrealistic in wanting it to last longer? I think I've only processed film 4 or 5 times, plus 4 times doing 35mm rolls and my developer is gone.
    • Suggestions should be limited to any system. Not just Jobo or BTZS. Anything.

I think that's it. Thanks for all your help guys.

A Paterson Orbital will do 4 sheets of 4x5 at a time or one sheet of 8x10. You can pick them up for less than $200, sometimes.

macandal, the BTZS system fits each of your criteria. If you start with the 4x5 system, then purchase a few 8x10 tubes, the cost is under $250.

Why not just get a combi-plan and be done with it? Much more control then these rotary tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Why not just get a combi-plan and be done with it? Much more control then these rotary tubes.
    In what way does it provide more control than "rotary tubes" (by which I assume you mean BTZS and similar tubes)? I know nothing about the combi-plan so I'm not arguing, just curious.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I use BTZS tubes precisely for the great control of processing. Photographers who use this method of development routinely develop up to 6-8 sheets at a time. If needed, a different dilution or developer can be used in each of the tubes, and the film in the individual tubes can be developed for whatever time is desired. And with all of this control this method of development gives very even development with very small quantities of developer..

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I use my DIY tubes for the occasional sheet or when I need to push/pull. Otherwise I use my MOD54. I too experienced scratches with my home-made tubes until I sanded the interior. Nice and smooth now.

How does a combi-plan work? Once you load the film you can work in light, right? How much developer does it use? The tanks I've been using take 1050 mL of developer (35.5 oz). So basically, for the tanks, 1 gallon of developer is enough to process film almost 4 times (3.6). That's about 16 sheets of 4x5 per gallon of developer. Thanks.