Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap 11x14 film holders on ebay

Cheap 11x14 film holders on ebay

Has anybody on this forum experience with these film holders from Czech Republic?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/11x14-double...item4d055ed19e

There are some exact dimensions on ebay, do they follow the most common standard for this size film holders?

Thanks!

Re: Cheap 11x14 film holders on ebay

From the ad:
    Offering for sale a double film holder 11x14in made in a traditional way using good quality resistant wood.

I wonder how well it resists quality?

(They actually look kind of sexy)

I looked at some feedback, an 11x14 back and bellows was unsatisfactory to the buye. He described it as imprecise and said it took 43 days for delivery. Take with agrain of salt..one of us will have to bite before anybody really knows. Another received one of the holders and was very happy.

I took a closer look at the auction images - looks as if the guy uses layers of plywood to build-up thickness of his holders. If you check his other auctions (the one about the "conversion frame for Vageeswari"), one of the pics shows a closeup of a corner of those holder. I'm not sure I would want a holder constructed that way.

Quote Originally Posted by big_ben_blue View Post
    I took a closer look at the auction images - looks as if the guy uses layers of plywood to build-up thickness of his holders. If you check his other auctions (the one about the "conversion frame for Vageeswari"), one of the pics shows a closeup of a corner of those holder. I'm not sure I would want a holder constructed that way.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Why?
    I could be wrong, but I see it as a potential weak-spot for light leaks developing. What if the wood starts to work when the holder is subjected to changing temperature/moisture levels (yes, I know, the seller mentions the wood is varnished)? The first thing to break is the bond between the flat layers, and I highly doubt that there is any barrier. Again, I'm probably wrong and just crying wolf here; but personally, I think I am going to stick with solid wood holders (or the plastic variety). YMMV

Building up layers of laminated wood is the obvious way to build modern wood film holders, unless you have access to very superior wood and the right wood working tools.
    It is the way I choose to make single-sided 30x40cm holders!
    I was nervous about longeveity of glue joins, so I have brass screws along the long sides.

Yes, plywood is plywood, and will always have the potential for failure along glue lines. But, on the other hand, there is no raw wood as dimensionally stable as plywood. I would think that cabinet-grade plywood would make very good holders, and if you took the time to set up your shop to produce them, you could make a bunch in one go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Yes, plywood is plywood, and will always have the potential for failure along glue lines. But, on the other hand, there is no raw wood as dimensionally stable as plywood. I would think that cabinet-grade plywood would make very good holders, and if you took the time to set up your shop to produce them, you could make a bunch in one go.
    What? Plywood stable? No thanks. There is a reason that quality film holders use grained hardwood and purposeful cross grain construction. It is because it is structurally stable over time. If you want to use these go right ahead. I will opt for what has proven to work for over 150 years even if it costs me more. With a sheet of film rapidly approaching $10+ a sheet, I cannot and will not unnecessarily take chances with this or similar wannabe products.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

It's not plywood, it's "laminate." And even plywood comes in different grades. Did you know that you can get oak, spruce, maple, mahogany, cherry, and walnut laminate products? The thing that I would be leery about is the actual wood used for the laminate. If it's a soft wood like pine, then no thanks. If it's a hardwood, then it's fine.

The negative feedback is for one of the Vageeswari conversion kits, not the holder. The only feedback for the holders was positive, and the buyer says they are just fine.

Wiggy, ask over on APUG if anybody has used these. The purchaser may be over there.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans