Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fred Picker's antistatic brush

Fred Picker's antistatic brush

I just read Fred Picker's book and in it he talks about Kodak Antistatic Brush. Is it still available? Is it the right way to go? How does everyone today deal with dust on their negatives?
    Thanks,
    Bill

Re: Fred Picker's antistatic brush

That huge, heavy grid power ionizer brush? IIRC it hasn't been made for more than 25 years. But several other makers had similar, often more elegant devices - mostly for integration in cine systems, endless processors/printers and minilabs, but there also are some for standalone enlarger/lab use. A currently available US made one would be http://kinetronics.com/store/KSE_250.html

If you do a title-only search here using the single word "dust" you'll get more information about dealing with dust on film than you'd ever want.

I bought an anti-static brush from Zone VI Studios (Fred Picker's company) that looked like an ordinary flat brush about 3 inches wide but supposedly had some anti-static properties. I don't know if that's the one he's talking about in his book or not. FWIW, I don't know if the brush really did anything special or not but it was a nice soft brush that didn't scratch film. I must have had it for 15 years.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

They were also sold under the Kodak brand. The original manufacturer is Chapman in Portland, Maine. The model was either SP-1 or 5P-1. I can't tell which.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

(Shrek)

Try Staticmaster (polonium).

I have new old stock Kodak unit, it doesn't work. Can they be repaired? Maybe by the Kodak Inkjet division?

It's a transformer with an electrostatic tip connected to a brush.

Call Chapman, the original manufacturer. See: http://www.kellysearch.com/us/portla...901001837.html
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thank you, I will, it's in new shape so it's a shame not to be using it. I think the static master refills are no longer.

The Kodak-branded ones I used when I worked at Kodak were made by "The Portland Co." which is likely the Chapman mentioned above. They were probably made in the 1950s-60s and have been discontinued by Kodak for decades. (Ha ha to the poster who thinks Kodak wants to repair anything any more.) There were two kinds- a large one with two fixed vertical brushes that could clean an 8x10 neg, and the smaller one (later sold by Picker/ZVI) with the antistatic element attached to a 3" camel-hair brush. I have one of those- it's true that you can't tell if it's working or not, but mine does, as I have many years of relatively dust-free negatives since I started using it when loading holders.

I have used Staticmaster brushes for dust control. They have a shelf life as they are made with polonium. My small 1" brush expired, or lost it's mojo back in September of '88. These little brushes were sold in 1" and 2" widths. They were manufactured by Nuclear Products Co. in El Monte, California. Funny thing is, El Monte California has major groundwater contamination.

Bill, you can also try Ilford's Antistaticum cloth that can help keep dust off your negatives.

Freestyle sells Ilford Antistaticum cloth, as well as, Kinetronics Static Wisk brushes.