Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens advise for Grand Circle Tour

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lens advise for Grand Circle Tour

Will stay 8 days at Vegas, Zion Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Arches, Monument Vally, Horseshoe Band, Lake Powell, Antelope, Grand Canyon. Will bring light weight 4X5 woodfield. I have 65, 75, 90, 135, 150, 180, 210, etc. I don't want to bring too much lens and want limited to two, max three lenses. I never go there before and hope to get advise for those been there. I also bring alone with Olympus E-1 digital system.
    Thanks, Kan

Re: Lens advise for Grand Circle Tour

90, 150, 210

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    90, 150, 210
    ditto. but it would by nice to sneak a 300mm Nikkor in there...

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    ditto. but it would by nice to sneak a 300mm Nikkor in there...
    I'm gonna third that, off the lenses you listed, those are the three I would bring. I was in many of the places you're going this year, and my kit was a 90, 180, and 270 and it served me well. Do you have a roll film back? If you're trying to keep the weight/size of what you're bringing down, it can be a space saver. You're going to want to shoot a TON of film. Believe me.

It also adds versatility by making allowing all of your lenses to double as longer lenses on the smaller format. Just a suggestion.

Congrats on this trip in any case. You'll being seeing some of the most beautiful and unique places the planet has to offer. Enjoy!

Perhaps 90-180-240, just for the wider vistas of the SW?

I was up at Horseshoe Bend a couple months ago. I brought a 90 and it was cutting it very close. I think a 75 would be a little better fit for that location. It's best at sunrise.

-DP

I'm a wide freak, especially when I can get close to formations to exaggerate perspective. I would bring a 65, a 90, and my longest lens.

But working fast from the car and not so close, I would bring a 90, a 120/121, and my longest lens. The 135 in your list would work for that middle size.

My longest lens for 4x5 is 12", so at twice normal it's not really all that long. But bring something like that--you'll use it.

Rick "who has spent happy weeks in these areas on foot with a 35mm camera and an 18-28 zoom, or a 24 prime, or a 45 prime on 6x6 format" Denney

Bring the 65 or 75 in addition to a "normal" 3 lens kit.
    Peter Y.

I’m going to [t, u, v, w, x, y, and z] for 8 days – which 2 or 3 lenses [I have a, b, c, d, e, f, g] should I bring?

My apologies, but I just have to add a little more sarcasm in the interest of good, clean fun , so here’s more specific advice: Antelope Canyon has no shots for a 150 or 210, but any of your other lenses – in that particular canyon, mind you – will work. Also, be aware that Lake Powell (and Bryce) work w/ no lenses except the 75 and 90, so be sure to bring them if those two places are among your favorite destinations. Finally, I don’t see any place you’ve listed that will work very well w/ the 135 (and probably not the 65 either), so you can feel safe about eliminating those lenses from your consideration altogether. (However, if you can squeeze Grand Gulch into your itinerary, the 135 would become a “must have” lens.)

Final note: Can you rent a 300? That’s really the only vital lens to have for Horseshoe Bend.

Now, on to film choices, and let’s not forget the correct tripod...

IDK -- I found one spot down in Bryce Canyon that a 135mm may work.

But at least I know why my photos in Antelope Canyon back in 1985 did not work -- I was using my 150mm on the 4x5...what an idiot I am!