Thread: ATTN: Arca Swiss F-Line Field Owners...

ATTN: Arca Swiss F-Line Field Owners...

I'm planning on buying the arca swiss f-line field and i wanted a recommendation for a tripod. i have yet to actually hold the camera and feel how much it weighs with my lens on it. I've been looking at getting a carbon fiber gitzo but i want to get the lightest one possible. any recommendations and personal experiences are greatly appreciated. thanks, patrick.

The Gitzo 1325 works just fine. The bigger question is deciding what head you want to use.

I've also found the 1325 works fine with an arca 4x5 Compact - you could go lighter, but the rig might get a bit top heavy. Either Arca B1 or Acratech head would be fine (or, apparently, the Burzynski head [sic] in the yoke).
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Regarding heads: how would a Kirk BH-3 (@20 ounces) handle this camera?

Thanks.

If you are going to get a ball type head, skip over the Kirk and just get the Arca-Swiss B1 monoball -- you'll likely end up with one anyway. For a traditional 'rational" head ((two axis tilt + pan) The Bogen /Manfrotto #410 mini-geared head is a good one to go with. You will hwantto add an Arca-Swiss type QR clamp. The monorail for all of the Arca-Swiss F cameras fits directly into the clamp. With A-S Clamp you slide the camera to the best position for balancing the camera for the way you have it set up.

No idea how good the Kirk heads are - but for a failry similar price the Acratech head is about as good s the B1 head in just about every way but at around 12oz...

I've had both, and they both do fine - the acratech is just simpler, cheaper and lighter... wish I'd never "loaned" it!
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Patrick : since you have decided for the Arca Swiss Monorail Field, let me second the good advice by Ellis to use an Arca Swiss quick-release clamp whatever tripod/head combination you would choose. If you go for the Arca Swiss Monoball®, simply take the model with the built-in clamp. On the other hand, if you go for a 3-Way head, simply screw a separate Arca Swiss clamp on the platform. The device is fairly thin and will not at all impair stability. This is what I do with an A/S F-line 6x9 compact, (very similar to yours except that I only have the 6x9 rear standard) when I secure it on top of a 1370 Gitzo 3-way head. You should also have a look at wooden tripods like the Berlebach before deciding for a carbon fibre tripod. Simply to make a good decision, being absolutely sure not to have missed any cheaper solution ;-);-)
    There is a new accessory adaptable to Arca Swiss Monoballs, namely an additional panoramic platform that can be added on top of the ball just under the clamp. With this device you do not have to level the tripod platform at all, you can leave the legs unbalanced, level the upper part of the Monoball® with the sphere, and do a perfectly horizontal panning with your tripod unbalanced on a rough terrain. On my Gitzo tripods, there is a small spirit level that I always watch before starting to level the 3 way head. But you do not really have to make panoramic shots all the time ;-)

I have the AS F camera and use a Kirk BH-3 with it. I am quite happy with the combo. The ballhead is light and compact and has never slipped. For hiking around a little with the camera on the tripod, I bought the plastic sleeve that slips in at the pivot area of the ballhead and it keeps the head from any movement while I boulder hop. It works like a charm. I tried the Acratech. I know there are a lot of fans of that ballhead, but I was not happy with the way it operates. I found myself having to use the pan feature to move the unit around so I get get adequate range of motion from the ballhead.

I had the opportunity using an AS 4x5 F-line metric field (for several days) on my Gitzo 1349 with a AS B1 with panopan and quicklock. Worked perfectly. For me the weight of this combo is acceptable. The rail snaps into the quicklock without moving the ballhead at all even if the ballhead is out of center.

Bart