Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Enlargers for 8x10?

Andrew "The RedSun"

What Enlargers for 8x10?

Most of the regular ones only go up to 4x5. Any popular ones for 8x10?

Re: What Enlargers for 8x10?

What do you mean by "regular"?
    Whatever you can find. 8x10 enlarging isn't popular.
    I use a Fotar 10x10 with a omega colorhead.

Horizontal or vertical? Like Vinny, I have a fotar 10x10 with a durst color head and 8 feet of vertical clearance.

I use a Durst 184 - 10x10 with a cold light head, excellent enlarger if you have the space.
    It is a beautifully made, giant hunk of iron, that weighs about as much as a small street bike.
    Almost completely light tight without much modification.
    Other than it being an enormous pain in the ass to move into the basement darkroom of an older building and it requires a fair bit of head room it is a great unit.

I also have a Beseler 810MXT which is nothing more than a 45MXT with an 8x10 conversion kit.
    This is actually a great setup, it is small and light and usable for 8x10 on a table top because it only works with lenses 240mm or shorter for 8x10.
    Downside, it is small and light and flimsy by durst standards. It's a Beseler so it leaks light like a screen door (most light leaks are easily fixable)
    I have not had any alignment issues with mine but the consensus from other users of these is that there is a problem keeping them aligned.
    If you are severely limited in space I don't think you will find a better 8x10 enlarger.

Death Before Digital matthew klos's Avatar

DeVere all the way

Do a search for Elwood, Fotar, Durst, Omega, DeVere, HK, and Saltzman; they are pretty popular around here.

I have an Omega head, completely refurbished, for sale $3k.

There is an 8x10 Fotar on *bay right now, located in NC I think - it is a solid piece of equipment built to last a few lifetimes.

I just visited Photokina and had the opportunity to speak with the engineer/owner of Kienzel (www.kienzle-phototechnik.de. This firm is the only manufacturer who currently makes a complete range of brand new analogue enlargers covering formats from 6x7 to 10"x10", including all the accessories needed to do color and B & W work. While not cheap, in the long run it may pay to buy new rather than rely on a used or "refurbished" model. They also do repair and maintenance on other brands of enlargers.

They're not as available as they were a couple of years ago when the big labs shut down. But you should be able to find something good with a little searching. Condition is very important, and you want to avoid fancy electronics. The chassis on all of these should last a very long time, and simple color heads are fairly easy to refurbish. You'll want to make sure that you get the accessories that you need, as sourcing these can be difficult and expensive. If you have the space, don't rule out a horizontal enlarger. I had a De Vere 810H, and it was a fine machine.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know