Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinkham and Smith Special Portrait

Pinkham and Smith Special Portrait

I've been collecting information on the Pinkham and Smith lenses and history ever since I came across the images of Jim Galli and Jonathan Brewer little over a year back now.

Looked at the catalogs on the sites of some of the members here and Googled extensively to find what's available in catalogs and magazine publications.

About a week back I came across a reference for a Pinkham & Smith Photographic Apparatus catalog for the early 1900's in an academic library. I was able to get the 122 pages scanned (30MB pdf ...) for a scanning + admin fee and I'm attaching the pages related to P&S lenses below.

Based on the cameras represented in the catalog, this publication has to be post 1908 but most likely prior to 1912 ... the latter is just a guestimate based on the cameras that are not present. It would take more scrutiny and research by someone more familiar with 20th century camera equipment than I for a more accurate dating if at all possible.

I've not seen these pages before on any of the catalog sites I frequent so I hope these are useful to someone

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pinkham Smith Special Portrait.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	80476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P and S Special 2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	80477

Some other lens pages for reference and price (at the time !) comparison ...

Name:	P and S B and L.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	80478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P and S Unar.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	80479

There are some more pages on Goerz and Turner Reich lenses which I will post later if there's interest ...

Enjoy

Re: Pinkham and Smith Special Portrait

Rudi,

I assume you have seen my pages covering the P&S made lenses (those in your ad are by other makers) ? see http://antiquecameras.net/softfocuslenses.html

Best
    Dan

And attached is an ad from a 1915 Catalog thats not on my website

Name:	1915smith.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	80481

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Dan,

I'm very familiar with the P&S made lenses on your site (thanks for all the SF lens info btw ...) and I'm aware that the lenses in the catalog I just posted are manufactured by other makers. We often see references to "relabeled" lenses sold under P&S engraving with associated, sometimes heated, discussion which glass in in these lenses

Reason for sharing is to attach some timeline to these and put a visual reference out there. Show possible forms/shapes/focal lengths and what more for the next guy coming across one of those ...

Thanks for sharing the page out of the 1915 catalog, another great reference point.

Upon closer examination I found a faint post mark stamp on the cover of the catalog ... reads: xx.20.1908 ... narrowing the time down

Good stuff Rudi. All of the lenses in the catalog pictures you posted are ordinary Bausch & Lomb products with Pinkham's name engraved. I've also seen the same thing with Wollensak Petzval's with Pinkham engraving.

No amount of education seems to keep people from bidding 4 or 5 times more for the Pinkham branded Wolly than the Wolly branded wolly though.

It's a quiet Saturday morning and I'm browsing old magazines I've collected in soft copy.

Below is maybe old news for the pro's on here but ...

The first number of Platinum Print didn't have any ads, they wanted to see what the response would be to the start of this publication. The second number though (Nov 1913) features an ad from P&S on the Series I, II and III. No mention of the IV as is the case in the 1915 catalog page Dan shared earlier in this thread. Third number of this publication (Jan 1914) has an ad for the Wollensak Verito and the November number of 1914 has a Karl Struss ad for his lens. I've few images attached for the clipping collectors

Name:	Dec 1913 Platinum Print P&S ad.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	80548Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karl Struss Nov 1914.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	80549

OK, there's something new. I have 2 Struss lenses. I've never heard of nor seen a second series, double lens, f3 Struss. Anybody? I wonder if any got made?

That also helps to date the Series IV Pinkham's. Some time after 1913, before 1915, or perhaps some time in 1915. What I did already know though was that the very early ones are in the aluminum mount with the lovely hand engraving and funky aperture, (seen one like this on ebay) and the later more common ones are in barrels with apertures made by Wollensak.

I appreciate seeing that Struss ad too. I'm sure everyone notices the aluminum barrels, engraving, and other details of Karl Struss Pictorial lenses seems to match Pinkham & Smith Semi-Achromatic lenses. It would be nice to know where they were made; did Struss get them from the same supplier as P&S? Did Struss get them from P&S?

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I appreciate seeing that Struss ad too. I'm sure everyone notices the aluminum barrels, engraving, and other details of Karl Struss Pictorial lenses seems to match Pinkham & Smith Semi-Achromatic lenses. It would be nice to know where they were made; did Struss get them from the same supplier as P&S? Did Struss get them from P&S?

Being lucky enough to have both on hand, I can say that there is nothing interchangeable about the machining or other pieces. Yes, they look very similar but I do not think they were made in the same place.

The attached gave me a chuckle ... first page is a wanted add in August 1909 for a Pinkham and Smith 5x7 lens ... no further identifiers. Second image is the earliest ad I found (so far) in the Camera Craft from June 1911 for a P&S SA. Third text comes from Photo Miniature from October 1910 and is an interesting narrative ...

Name:	Wanted P&S August 1909.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	80562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camera Craft June 1911 c.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	80563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Miniature October 1910.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	80564

Enjoy