Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 110mm Super Symma Hazer—Schneider Drops the Ball

Re: 110mm Super Symma Hazer—Schneider Drops the Ball

Quote Originally Posted by karl french View Post
    The person I talked to at Schneider's service center in California said the lens needed to 'breathe." Sealing the lens up was against his recommendation.
    I rather doubt the lens needs to "breathe" spore laden air at 100% relative humidity, or any other kinds of dubious contaminated atmosphere.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

So, you're taking pictures in a 'clean room?"

"Dubious contaminated atmosphere." That sounds a lot like outside, or even inside a studio.

I'm very careful with my gear, but there's not much point in having it if you are afraid to use it. Generally those lenses don't last long with me.

I was concerned about the haze issue when I had a couple different Super Symmar XL's but figured there wasn't much I could do to stop it if it happened since no one really seems to know what causes it. So I made the images I wan't to make where ever that happened to be, including transporting the lenses in my bag to the coast and the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    If you live in a damp environment that's a good practice with any lens or other piece of gear. Just remember to dessicate your dessicant before bagging the widget.
    My original post regarding bagging lenses.

Having had stuff ruined by plasticizers, I retract any comments about putting lenses in bag. Mine will stay in class nylon lens cases and photobackpacker cases. It must be just selected lenses or a serial number run - if it was just atmosphere, Baton Rouge ought to be doing them in.:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Having had stuff ruined by plasticizers, I retract any comments about putting lenses in bag. Mine will stay in class nylon lens cases and photobackpacker cases. It must be just selected lenses or a serial number run - if it was just atmosphere, Baton Rouge ought to be doing them in.:-)
    Ed, do you remember what sort of plastic you had the trouble with?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    E., check your references. IIRC, the Xenon is a 6/4 double Gauss type that Schneider licensed from TTH. The Sonnar is, well, a Sonnar. Bertele design. Meniscus, coupla cemented elements, diaphragm, more cemented elements. Six air-glass interfaces. Not a 6/4 double Gauss.
    Well, as I typed "IIRC". Is there a Leitz lens which is a Sonnar clone, or is this memory completely corrupted? I do know I had a Sonnar on a Contax II.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Well, as I typed "IIRC". Is there a Leitz lens which is a Sonnar clone,
    No. That is, Nikon, Zeiss and many others have made Sonnar type lenses in Leica thread mount. But Leitz themselves never did.

Thanks Sevo.

I would not touch it, I would find the warranty card and send it to them and no place else
    Because you will null and void your warranty by having some else try and the factory see that you have lost :

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    The plot thickens. I called Schneider in New Jersey and was told that Badger is not an authorized dealer in the US. The rep I spoke to did not know where Badger buys their lenses, whether from the factory or elsewhere, but Schneider US is not involved and therefore can't help me. He did say that they no longer offer a lifetime warranty on lenses—I think because of this problem. He did say that if this problem occurs with a lens with a lifetime warranty, and the owner has the warranty card they will honor it.

I will try to have it cleaned, before pursuing it with the factory. I do not want to be without this lens any longer than absolutely necessary as I am doing a long-term project and it is my most used lens.
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

Drew Wiley

Nylon cases and packs, esp cordura, can be just about the worst thing conceivable for
    outgassing phathlates, urethanes, and plasticizers, esp in these days of Chinese mfg. You want polyethylene bag or bubble wrap etc. Anything but vinyl or coated nylon. Lots of so-called "rubber" cushioning can be a blend of all kinds of junk - so unless you know exactly
    what it is, don't count on that to be safe either!