Thread: Developing tank & holders/hangers

Developing tank & holders/hangers

Hello, I'm in the market for developing tanks and holders/hangers (what are they called?) I prefer the metal tanks to the plastic ones or even Jobo. What should I be looking for? What should I be avoiding? How much sould I expect to pay? All that good stuff... Thanks so much.

Re: Developing tank & holders/hangers

It really depends on the format...

I'd go with (and I have) 1 gallon 8x10 tanks. They accommodate six 8x10s or 24 4x5s or 12 5x7 or any combination of six hangers. Larger (3.5 gallon) tanks would let you process more or roll film as well, but that was never a big concern for me.

For hangers: make sure they are straight. They are pretty easy to bend, and that can really be annoying at the very least.

I like both Leedal and Arkay tanks. Leedal are much lighter, but that hardly matters. Most tanks are the same size, so you don't have to worry too much about it.

Price seems to be all over the place. Try to get a lot with multiple tanks and hangers.

Quote Originally Posted by David de Gruyl View Post
    It really depends on the format...

I'd go with (and I have) 1 gallon 8x10 tanks. They accommodate six 8x10s or 24 4x5s or 12 5x7 or any combination of six hangers. Larger (3.5 gallon) tanks would let you process more or roll film as well, but that was never a big concern for me.

For hangers: make sure they are straight. They are pretty easy to bend, and that can really be annoying at the very least.

I like both Leedal and Arkay tanks. Leedal are much lighter, but that hardly matters. Most tanks are the same size, so you don't have to worry too much about it.

Price seems to be all over the place. Try to get a lot with multiple tanks and hangers.
    David, sorry, I forgot to say I'm shooting 4x5, so that's what I need. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    David, sorry, I forgot to say I'm shooting 4x5, so that's what I need. Thanks.
    Not necessarily.

There are hangers that fit an 8x10 tank and hold four 4x5 sheets, so you can do quite a few sheets in one batch in the larger tank.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Plastic food containers make pretty useful tanks for hanger development and are inexpensive. Walmart has ones that will accomodate single 4x5 and single 5x7 hangers.

There is the additional advantage that if you buy containers with tops, you can store multiple use solutions (fixer, hypo clear, Photo-flo etc) directly in the tanks.