Thread: Densitometer readings on expired 8X20 film. Is it usable?

Densitometer readings on expired 8X20 film. Is it usable?

I hope that some of you experienced LF shooters can help me. I have 8x20 Tri-X, expired 03/1992, and T-Max 400, exp. 08/2008. Stored at room temp.most of its life but refrigerated/frozen the last 4 years.
    Took a sample of each to a local lab for a clip test. Their standard developer is X-tol. They cut a sheet of each in half, processed it using a dip and dunk method and took a densitometer reading. Film base + fog for the Tri-X was 0.29. For the T-Max, 0.20. I don't know what these numbers mean, relative to fresh sheet film. Is this excessive? What adjustments would you recommend for exposure and development times, as a starting point? What's a good developer to use in this situation?

Re: Densitometer readings on expired 8X20 film. Is it usable?

It is no good. You have to send it to me for further testing of all the sheets

Seriously, those numbers look good for film of that age. In fact, the Tri-x from 1992 seems too low to believe. Even with cold storage film like that gets fogged. I have HP5 still frozen from 1986 and it is up over to 0.6 when last checked. They may have not developed the sheets long enough; it is hard to know.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    It is no good. You have to send it to me for further testing of all the sheets

Seriously, those numbers look good for film of that age. In fact, the Tri-x from 1992 seems too low to believe. Even with cold storage film like that gets fogged. I have HP5 still frozen from 1986 and it is up over to 0.6 when last checked. They may have not developed the sheets long enough; it is hard to know.
    I agree. B+F of 0.29 for twenty year old film is quite extraordinary. Tri-X that I have tested from that period, always stored in a freezer, would typically have a B+F of at least log 0.45. That adds only about 1 1/2 stops to exposure so with silver printing it is no problem at all. I know a couple of photographers who are still getting beautiful prints from negatives made with Super-XX manufactured prior to 1990.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Sandy, a couple of years ago I finished the last of a box of Super XX, vintage about 1978. B + F ran about 0.65 in D-76 at 1:1. Using it was fine by simply moving the toe of the sensitometry curve about 2 EV so that in effect a new B + F ran at about 0.65. This crimps the shoulder at the high density end but I don't make much use of that anyhow.

The OPs film should be fine with exposure compensation for the fog. Of course this is a bit of a generalization for all EV vs D curves and assumes a curve is pretty linear over the exposure range.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Just shoot some. Geesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    Just shoot some. Geesh.
    Also a good idea. Just make sure you have enough film in your bag.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Dear Ic-Racer,

I tried to send you a message but your box is full. I saw several places on the web where you said that when using a spotmeter on a negative on a light table, a 1/3 stop drop equals .1d, and I wondered if the drop is measured from a blank (unexposed) negative or from the light table. For example, .1d = (film base + fog) - 1/3 stop. And Zone 8 would equal (Fb+f) - 3 stops. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help.

Best, Tim

nevermind. i found it