Thread: One more cold light question:

One more cold light question:

OK, I have my new V54 tube coming next week from Louise at Voltec. In inserting the two white diffusion discs, after I have the tube in place, the Zone VI instructions from Fred Picker call for the two discs to be separated by supplied 1/2-inch metal ring. I am assumming that this gap is to help prevent the lines of the tube from showing up on a print. Do those of you who have such units (The Zone VI) use that metal ring or just leave it out and just sandwich the two discs together? Does the ring really make a difference? It just seems to me that this shiny peice of metal in there might create all sorts of reflective problems. After all I have done with this once I get it back in I don't want to take it apart again for a long time..Thanks in advance and thanks again for all who have helped earlier...Robbie

http://robbiebedell.photoshelter.com

Drew Wiley

Re: One more cold light question:

The double diffuser is just to even out the light some more. And your assumption about
    the ring is correct - you might want to paint it black. Just be certain the primer and paint
    hold well and won't start peeling off little flakes in the long run.

Just be curiosity, did you order the "D2-HI Replacement Lamp" ?
    I have the older Zone VI, with a single diffuser disk only, but I do not have the problem that prompted you to change the lamp. However I would be inclined to change lamps in order to simplify printing on VC paper.

I've had a number of Zone VI heads and all had single diffusers. Guess I'm not the only one. It can't hurt, and frankly the V54 is too bright a lot of the time.

Drew: The paint it black is a good idea, but what I would rather do is skip the ring altogether..

JK: I suppose it's the D2 HI-LO. I think it's the only one they make now for the 4x5 head..

Kevin: Yes, I know the new tube is very bright, but I got a Z VI Stabilizer so I should be OK. But I think you've answered my question. I should be OK just going with the two discs and skipping the ring.