Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blurb...practical or not?

Blurb...practical or not?

Anyone try making their own photo books to sell with Blurb?

http://www.blurb.com/

Is it a practical thing to do or not?

Thanks

Re: Blurb...practical or not?

Sure, buy one of mine, I'll make a couple million bucks: http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/2589826

The books are decent quality for the price. You can spend more or less elsewhere but Blurb is a good middle-ground, and they will reprint anything they mess up and they have consistently improved over the years. If you are a graphic designer they allow you submit InDesign PDFs if you know what you are doing, otherwise the online Blurb app works OK. The B&W images often have some sort of metarism but they all do, it's the process.

Not looking to make any $$. Looking to pay for printing cost. Never made a fudging dime for my pix taking...just love it.

How much is a 75 page book with mostly BW and possibly a few color pix?

Was thinking of selling on Amazon. Maybe $25 a pop? Call it 'Hollywood 1970's'

Can I break even if I print up 50 copies at a time? Just looking to memorialize some of my pix. most of us are getting old. Sad if our lifes work gets thrown in the trash when we are gone.

Here are some samples. (The Holllywood stuff is at the beginning of blog.)

http://slackercruster.tumblr.com/

Don't know if i want to use my name on it though? The pix were from 40 years ago. Most people are dead, but maybe a few alive. Got some Nazi devotees as well. But may block their face some. Not one model release in the lot.

Would use slackercruster as author...maybe?

Well, if you buy one of mine, perhaps I'll make five bucks.
    http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/2274116
    Frank's comments above are right on. I'm sure he's sold many more copies than I have but part of that is down to our differing subject matter.

Most people buy Blurb books from Blurb, by the time you ship them to yourself and deal with Amazon the $35 book becomes a $55 book and who wants a little 75-page self-published digital on demand book for that much money? Even $35 is a stretch.

I'd look on the Blurb site for prices and more answers, they have a community forum and you can check out other books deemed successful and get a better idea of what is reasonable to do.

Of course you can publish books with people's photos without model releases. Just don't sell the photos as advertising - art and journalism are fair use.

I'd use my real name for anything or not do it at all, but that's my values.

I've sold about 50 copies of my book and marked it up a couple of bucks just for kicks. Really though, it makes a nice inexpensive portfolio and is a good exercise in editing your work. It's also a good trial to see if any real publisher might be interested?

Good for you Frank!

If I sold 50 copies I'd be very happy to get some pix out there.

Sure, if Blurb sells them that is even better. I'd really like a turnkey deal better. If blurb wants them for free they make the book, they do it all, I will just send them some pix. They can keep all the $$. I'm too busy shooting to screw round with that other stuff.

On a different topic, but still book related. Have any of you ever talked with Aperture for publication of your pix? How did that work out? Or is Aperture just for the high and mighty of us togs?

Quote Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
    Good for you Frank!

If I sold 50 copies I'd be very happy to get some pix out there.

Sure, if Blurb sells them that is even better. I'd really like a turnkey deal better. If blurb wants them for free they make the book, they do it all, I will just send them some pix. They can keep all the $$. I'm too busy shooting to screw round with that other stuff.

On a different topic, but still book related. Have any of you ever talked with Aperture for publication of your pix? How did that work out? Or is Aperture just for the high and mighty of us togs?
    I've learned to accept all the hunting terminology used in photography - shooting, shot, captured, etc. I can even almost tolerate someone calling developer "soup" or "souped." But "tog" for photography? Please, no.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Togs AND hdr, I'll stop there.

You're all a bunch of bloody togs!

I tried Blurb about two years ago, and personally, I found the quality of printing inadequate for photos. It wasn't awful, but I don't think many people would mistake the book for something from a bookstore. (Not referring to design or layout, just reproduction quality.)