Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arista.eduUltra/Fomapan 200?

Arista.eduUltra/Fomapan 200?

Anyone use shoot this stuff? How does it compare with the 100 speed?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Arista.eduUltra/Fomapan 200?

Here are some thoughts from some of the members on the Arista
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...heets-any-good
    Questions and comments are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by MMELVIS View Post
    Here are some thoughts from some of the members on the Arista
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...heets-any-good
    yeah, I shoot Arista.edu Ultra 100, but I'm curious about the 200. Is it anything like the old Fortepan 200 I wonder?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Fomapan 200 and Fortepan 200 are two very different film. I have not used the new version of Fomapan 200 but the old Fomapan 200 was building contrast really fast, had a very unique tonal scale and was great for Pt/Pd printing.
    Fortepan was very red sensitive but not good at building contrast, almost like HP5+ which to me have muddy shadows.

Jan, would it be similar to Fomapan 100, only faster? Any grain issues?

I have made negs and prints with this emulsion. I shoot it at asa 125 and do not worry about filter factors. It is not like fortepan 200 at all. has a very nice palette...you have to try it for yourself to find out. the emulsion is a little sensitive to developing i.e. you must be careful in handling. have used xtol 1+2 and pyrocat 2:2:100 for platinum and it works quite well. the film is cheap and a very good buy for someone starting out in photography. for a few dollars more I use ilford or kodak films and rarely if ever have problems with exposure or development. available in all 3 major sizes. shoot me a PM if you want some spot on dev times
    Best, Peter

I've been using Fomapan 100 and 200 in 120 & 5"x4" for about 5 years now both at half their box speeds with excellent results, the grain is fine with both films. As Peter says the emulsions are more sensitive to development, they build up contrast rather quickly, hoqwever with a few quick tests to establish your own effective EI & development times they are very capable films. They require shorter development times than other films so beware over-development.

Fortepan 200 is (was) quite a different film which evolved from pre-WWII Kodak Super X which the Hungarian factory made and coated when it belonged to Kodak Ltd (UK)

Ian

Dave Karp

I loved the old version of Fomapan 200 (Arista.EduUltra 200). I bought some when I got a 5x7 back for my camera, and wanted to play with some less expensive 5x7 film. I was surprised at how much I liked it. Then it was discontinued for a while because they had to reformulate things due to loss of the film base, or a chemical, or environmental concerns, or something like that.

Any opinions on how the new version compares to the old?

Jan, would it be similar to Fomapan 100, only faster? Any grain issues?
    I can only compare the old Fomapan 200 to Fomapan 100 and they are different. Fomapan 100 is also a nice film but it does not look like the 200. I don't really know what the 200 compares to if anything.
    As Peter wrote, try it you might just like it if the look is similar to the old version.

I still have about 350 sheets of the old 200 in my freezer and recently a friend purchased some of the new 200. We took an old and new sheet and exposed them identically to a 21 step stouffer and processed them both at the same time identically. Both were read into Winplotter and the graph plotted was almost the same. Speed was the same with both and contrast build up was just slightly less with the newer film. This wasn't a comprehensive test of the newer film but I would say if you used the older version the new version is very close to the same. My stock is from 2007