Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LF Newbie from Boston

David M Marinero

Re: LF Newbie from Boston

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advice!

It is a pity that I missed the ROG at Middlesex, CT. The online pictures look truly amazing and I can only imagine the "real deal", to look at the prints.

David M Marinero

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    Are you selling your F6?

I am not selling my F6!! I don't want to give up the convenience of matrix metering and AF just yet It also clocks exposures up to an hour, which is a joy for night photography. And it has a portrait lens that I love, the 135mm f/2 DC, which might not be a Pinkham & Smith, but it is so much easier to use!

I will sell my Mamiya 6mf with its 3 lenses once I take some pictures of all the items and post an ad in the typical places.

David,

Welcome to the club. I just moved to Boston from California and managed to get my gear across in one piece. Darkroom is going to be ready tomorrow night.

Hope to see you at some of the future gatherings.

Martin

Hey I just thought I'd drop a note, I'm also a recent transplant (well, re-transplant) to Boston (also from CA!). I was sort of spoiled by Keeble and Schuchat there, where do you guys go thats closer to the city than E P Levine (that is where the guys at k&s sent me)?

Another store - not especially for Large Format - is http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/. They have several stores in the area.

Also, Calumet has a store in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by mikezvi View Post
    Hey I just thought I'd drop a note, I'm also a recent transplant (well, re-transplant) to Boston (also from CA!). I was sort of spoiled by Keeble and Schuchat there, where do you guys go thats closer to the city than E P Levine (that is where the guys at k&s sent me)?
    There's nothing remotely approaching an LF "candy store" in the Boston area today. I get almost everything - hardware, film, darkroom supplies - by mail order now. Calumet in east Cambridge has gone almost entirely digital, though they usually at least have some film up to 4x5 and basic darkroom supplies (Ilford paper only). Hunt doesn't do LF hardware at all any more, though the mother ship in Melrose, like Calumet, can usually be counted on for film up to 4x5 and for basic darkroom supplies.

The only store that seems to have many large format goodies in the area is EP Levine, among the local ones I have tried. They have a great selection of second hand lenses and LF accessories. The film selection isn't that great, but a good to have for emergencies. Have to try their imacon scanner for some of my 4x5.

Calumet has film if you are in a pinch, it's nice to have it around. They have some 8x10 too, although I can't imagine buying that from there (I don't even shoot 8x10 so anyway...) They have basic darkroom chemicals too which is handy for me.

NESOP in Kenmore square did or might still have a decent darkroom program. If you take a class you can use the darkrooms, I believe. If you are into that sort of thing.

Boston's a pretty good city for photography, I think. The PRC of BU is a pretty great organization. Museum shows are pretty frequent and pretty good. The Weston Leaves of Grass show at the MFA was really superb.

Anyway, I have all used junk I got off ebay and I'm going to keep it that way. I'm glad I can buy film locally even though I rarely do. Stuff comes from B&H more or less overnight. And I don't shoot all that much, so I usually have good warning that I'm getting low.