Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Time to Get a View Camera?

Re: Time to Get a View Camera?

Using a view camera forces me to slow down and really think about every exposure I make. I find that the total number of exposures I take is far less than if I were using a digital SLR but the number of keepers is far more.

I can in no way guarantee that anybody else will be similarly affected but I find it holds true for me.

As scattered as my thought process can be, I have evolved a set series of steps when shooting in LF. Many things may be done in a different order, but I do them in MY order to be sure everytning is done. My most common mistake is to forget to close the aperature after focusing. One thing I do to eliminate this mistake is to trip the shutter once before drawing the dark slide. If it won't trip, the shutter is still open from focusing. If it does trip, I get a rough check on the shutter speed (Time, <1/10th, or faster). There are other things I do to help me get it right. I still mess up, but less often .
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Buy one for the simple joy of operating the camera but be careful you might be a collector soon. I have too many and not enough. I do film and now more and more wet plate. The social part is fun too. Nothing can replace the smile on someones face when you bring out a 8x10 deardorff or 11x14 rochester on the street and a wetplate darkroom trailer in tow and do a plate. I'm not here for a long time I am here for a good time and my tintype's will out last me.

You can go anywhere with a view camera and no one bothers you when making images. Enough Said. You also get to say " MF I don't shoot anything that small"
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Quote Originally Posted by ki6mf View Post
    You can go anywhere with a view camera and no one bothers you when making images. Enough Said. You also get to say " MF I don't shoot anything that small"
    No one bothers you??? You've obviously never shot with a view camera in Beijing, China! Everyone wants a look under the dark cloth.

But they are all very nice about it, and respectful. And I frequently hear them mutter a surprise English word to their compatriots: "Professional!"

(I want to say back to them "no, amateur!", but I'm sure they wouldn't understand...)

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I don't see it that way (LF as a gamble). It really isn't very difficult to build both the knowledge, equipment collection, and disciplined methods to come very, very close to "One sheet of film = one picture" with virtually nothing left to chance. The gambling analogy is cute and I understand the intent, but have never felt like a gambler in all of my years shooting LF (or MF or 35mm either) ... except when going way out of my way to "experiment" or learn a new technique. Mistakes and errors happen, but that's not gambling... those are mistakes and errors.

That's from the technical perspective. "Visualization" skills are a totally different issue.
    All it takes is paying attention to what you are doing. When you're loading holders, load holders. Don't think about anything else. Multitasking is nonsense, you have only so much attention to go around. And, if you turn the TV off (permanently), you'll find your attention span increases while the clutter in your consciousness decreases.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

If you don't know why you would want a view camera, then it's not time to buy one.

Here are four reasons why I like large format photography:

• There's something unique about the look and texture that can be captured from a large format image, either color or black and white. (In particular, 4x5 and above.)

• Like no other camera, the photographer at the scene has absolute control of the image.

• Even with a 39mp digital back, one can't match the detail that can be obtained from a good scan of a well exposed and focused 4x5 sheet of film.

• Large format really affords one the time and need to study and understand the scene being photographed. Maybe that's one reason why so many LF photographers photograph architecture and landscapes?

Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022 View Post
    No one bothers you??? You've obviously never shot with a view camera in Beijing, China! Everyone wants a look under the dark cloth.

But they are all very nice about it, and respectful. And I frequently hear them mutter a surprise English word to their compatriots: "Professional!"

(I want to say back to them "no, amateur!", but I'm sure they wouldn't understand...)
    You could reply "Documentary"!

I did not think about shooting in China! In the USA you do get questions like "Who still makes film"

I occasionialy get asked about having a permit if shooting in a National Park or if in New York City! In most cities in the USA the permit is to allow you to set up a tripod on a side walk. A MF or 35MM news photographer has fewer issues to deal with as opposed to the LF on a tripod! We still get asked about making an image when in public and you have to deal with some ignorant people, sometimes this is the police too!
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022 View Post

This is actually one of the things I love about LF. I am in the curious and unfortunate position of being a shy extrovert, and an LF camera is a hell of an icebreaker and conversation starter. Plus I get to turn all these digital shooters on to the fun of shooting film, and evangelize my hobby.

Smiles all around!
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

Quote Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
    This is actually one of the things I love about LF. I am in the curious and unfortunate position of being a shy extrovert, and an LF camera is a hell of an icebreaker and conversation starter. Plus I get to turn all these digital shooters on to the fun of shooting film, and evangelize my hobby.

Smiles all around!
    Definitely a win-win. And I've convinced a couple of people here to give film a try. One area where film, especially large format, is a very interesting choice, is in long exposure, night time photography. Sure, a digital camera is very useful for helping dial in an initial exposure (using ISO 6400 shots to estimate long ISO 100 exposures is very helpful) but when it comes time to take the super long exposure, film is a great solution. The digital folks will say "reciprocity failure" but I'll say "noise!!!!" or lots of post processing.

I also get a lot of interest when I talk about not having to waste time looking at a review screen to check what I already know I got.