Thread: Grinding your own matte iMac screen

Grinding your own matte iMac screen

Mac users (myself included) love to bitch about the lack of a matte screen for the iMac. Many see this as the last reason to still buy the overpriced Mac Pro (once a fine machine, no doubt). With iMacs so much cheaper now, few of us can justify the cost - just for the privilege of having to buy a monitor as well

Googling "matte iMac screen" results in much moaning plus a couple of firms selling matte films to lay over a glossy screen - a dubious solution.

However searching eBay for "iMac screen" shows that genuine replacement glass for the iMac is readily and cheaply available. I underseand that the actual LCD under the glass is glossy, but I'll bet a matte glass cover will go a long way towards beating reflections. I've never ground my own ground glass, but started thinking... Any of you aluminum oxide freaks out there given it a go?
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

Re: Grinding your own matte iMac screen

I'd go with the matte overlay stuff, less prone to weird reflections between the two glass surfaces.

Think Newton rings...

Just my $.02

Dan

Thanks for your reply Daniel,

The matte film is just bad logic for so many reasons and I meant grinding the outside of the glass, so I don't think Newton rings would be an issue. I know I can get a little eccentric sometimes but didn't realise I was being sufficiently nuts for no-one to even consider the idea.

Oh well, back to the glossy screen I go..
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

Tech Support, Chromix, Inc.

Sounds like a fascinating project to me. Perhaps no one here is into serious astronomy and grinding their own mirror glass? (I'm not, though I've seen those that are.) That's where I would go to get more information. Apparently there are plenty of different abrasives to get exactly the matte surface you want.
    Pat Herold
    CHROMiX Tech Support
    www.chromix.com