Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega D3 + Componon-s 150mm + ring of light problem

Omega D3 + Componon-s 150mm + ring of light problem

Hallo...

I've got an enlarger Omega D3 with head dichroic.

No problem with format until 6x7 .

I bought a shredder schneider-s 150mm for negative 4x5 and there are two problems.
    -It focus only with a projected format 30x40
    but I solved the problem buying the bellows focus attachment instead of the cone of 5'' and 1/4

-When I project the negative in the base there is a 'ring of light' on the edge that cause a vignette.

I tried in this forum and in the net, but I couldn't find a solution.

I read in a post that you have to adjust the distance between the negative and the head of the enlarger or the mixing box, but you can't, because there are not adjustments .

After I also red that the rail of the auto focus has to be 'perfectly' coupled with the lent.
    So I look at it and there are 3 plates: Rodagon 50mm…Rodagon 105mm … and Rodagon 150mm.

So I tried with different lenses (75mm Rogonar… 105mm Galileo) coupled with the rails but I still got the problem with the componon-s 150mm projected 4x5 negative.

It seems that the up bellows ( to take off the 'ring of light') should be extended, but is not possible because is on the maximum length.
    So I had a look on the characteristics of the Rodagon and the Componon-s; it seems that the Rodagon has got a cover and a draw more suitable with my Omega D3, so I thought that changing the lens could solve the problem.

1 Is anyone using, or have used the Omega D3 with the componon 150mm?
    2 Do you have a solution for this problem?
    3 Is possible that the Componon-s 150mm (look at the link below) doesn't cover the 4x5 format? Or that anyway is not coupled with the Omega D3?
    4 Eventually do you advise me with a Rodagon 150mm or a 135mm??

Rodagon's characteristics:
    http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/medi...3-62__8230.pdf
    (pag 51)

Componon-s 150mm characteristics:
    http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/pd...esserung_e.pdf
    "recommended negative size: 90x120 mm" ????

Best regards

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	circle oh light-8.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	78041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	circle oh light-6.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	78042

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	circle oh light-9.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	78044

Re: Omega D3 + Componon-s 150mm + ring of light problem

The 150mm focus rail should work with that lens as you are doing.

I have not heard of using the accessory bellows in place of the 5 1/4" cone to make an enlargement but I suspect that is causing the ring of light and also blocking the image of the negative. Any lens is just projecting an image of what ever is up there. Just take the lens off and look up there, you will see what is going on. It should be a better view than the dim projection.

I don't understand what you mean with this statement:
    The accessory bellows is for making very small prints and reductions. You may need to prop your easel up on some boxes. The paper should be closer to the lens than the negative to make a reduction or small print.

If you are doing enlargements I think all of your problems will be solved with a 5 1/4" cone. Here is one on USA Ebay, you might want to snatch that up for $20 USD: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-5-25-L...#ht_500wt_1249

KHB lists the 421-1555¼" Cone for 150mm lenses as "Current Production" and available, but that web page may not be up-to-date.

I don't know if it helps, but i have a D2V and the Componon-S 150mm... works fine.

Hallo ic-racer...

I bought the bellows focus attachement because I thought: why buy a cone for each lens? with a bellow can adjust all the focal range!
    Perhaps wrong. But... i've read on user manual and literature about a reduction questions, my english is not perfect so maybe I do not understand; so 1+1=2 (cone or bellows=adjust the distance of the lens from the negative carrier). I do not know if I have explained.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I don't understand what you mean with this statement:

When I bought the enlarger I had not all the necessary information, only the base information for an "normal" ( ) enlarger. This enlarger was supplied with only a unspecified cone (no label on the cone), one lensboard and also problems of alignment and power supply (the Italian standard voltage is 220v) The price was really good and I wanted to print my negatives soon. With this minimal equipment I could focus only about 30x40 or 40x50.

I have seen the link for the auction, it looks interesting, I hope they the seller send in Italy.

So if I understand correctly, your opinion is that the cone has to work, even if the rail shall be marked rodagon 150mm?

Thanks for your time.
    Enzo.

Quote Originally Posted by alex villegas View Post
    I don't know if it helps, but i have a D2V and the Componon-S 150mm... works fine.
    Hallo alex villegas
    I don't know D2V, maybe is not autofocus ... thanks, everything is appreciated at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by zone View Post

So if I understand correctly, your opinion is that the cone has to work, even if the rail shall be marked rodagon 150mm?

Yes. I think you should try to see if you can get that cone on ebay. $20 usd is cheap for that cone even if shipping is an additional $35. That cone is the only way to use the enlarger with a 150mm lens.

I think I know what it is like for you, in Italy, to fix up a USA Omega as I have spent a lot of time here in USA fixing up my Italian Durst!

Make sure you color head comes with a 4X5 light mixing chamber DD, not a medium format DB.

thanks goodfood, i've checked because i've tought perhaps the mixing chamber for 2,25x3,25 or 3,25x4,25 or other strange format... yes, strange things about me...
    mixing chamber is 4x5 negatives.

I followed the advice of ic-racer.... i bought the 5,1/4'' cone.. now, i hope just that post service does a good job...

stay tuned for the next "develop"

zone, do you have the manual? If not here is a PDF (in English): http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-c...egaD3andD5.pdf

thank Ic-Racer...I had already printed this book, I'm wondering why I can not find the size of the cones in optics. What would you use for cone 105 and for 80 and 50 mm?
    If I can just use a enlarger for all formats, it will sell one in order to gain more space, although I often read that many people use two magnifiers, there is a real enhancement using two enlargers, only one for GF?