Thread: filter vignett(e?)ing on SA 75

filter vignett(e?)ing on SA 75

hello,

got the basic glass now & am purchasing filters. my largest glass now is 77 (filter size). the wa lens is 75mm focal/67mm thread. will i get unwanted vignetting on the schneider SA 75 using a step up ring to the 77mm filter ? if so, would it still vignette w/ the step up ring & a slim filter mounted ? I am certain my movements will be further limited either way (am i correct ?), but want to keep my image circle as unobstructed as possible.

thnaks, jason

Jason, I have a SA 75/5,6 and sometimes use a 67mm Heliopan polarizer on it. I did not notice any vignetting, then your 77mm filter with step up ring should not cause any trouble.

Hi Jason,

Vignetting caused by adding anything to the front of any lens is guaranteed to drive you nuts. My personal solution was to go really wide - 95mm - with step-up rings on all my lenses. Having standardized the final size, I went to the Lee Filter System, which accepts four inch filters.

One thing to remember regarding the addition of step-up rings is that as you go up, you also go out from the lens - and it's the going out that is the killer, especially when you dial in camera movements. So try to minimize the number of step-up rings on any single lens. Sometimes this is tough to solve, as some lenses have small front filter thread diameters. B+H seems to have the most comprehensive filter ring selection, especially in their generic offerings. They also offer a 95mm lens cap - the clip-in type that I favor. Contax 35mm camera brand.

Hope this gives you an option.

Best regards,