Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: what color film did sally mann use for her mexican landscapes?

Re: what color film did sally mann use for her mexican landscapes?

Quote Originally Posted by codyjgraham View Post
    that makes sense! what does coated vs uncoated mean?
    Coatings lessen reflections at the air/glass interfaces thereby increasing the contrast of the lens. A single coating is optimized for a single wavelength (e.g. green) and mult-coatings for two or more wavelengths. Older lenses typically had a single coating of MgFl. A lens with a coating usually exhibits a blue or purplish color.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
    Coatings lessen reflections at the air/glass interfaces thereby increasing the contrast of the lens. A single coating is optimized for a single wavelength (e.g. green) and mult-coatings for two or more wavelengths. Older lenses typically had a single coating of MgFl. A lens with a coating usually exhibits a blue or purplish color.
    Oh okay thanks

Sally Mann is possibly the most overated photographer in the world !! , Just my opinion , Cheers gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Tarbert View Post
    Sally Mann is possibly the most overated photographer in the world !! , Just my opinion , Cheers gary
    Yeah. She has a gimmick; some schtick, that gets her attention. Kind of like a large format Holgatographer.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Dominik

I don't think that Sally Mann is a photographers photographer, people respond to her work on emotional level that goes beyond the simple ooh and aahs that the grand landscapes of certain photographers provoke.
    Some photographers prefer technique and some can master technique and don't have to shove their mastery in the viewers face.

Cody an uncoated lens is a lens without antireflection coating on the lens elements, these lenses usually produce muted sometimes unclean colors when used with color film

Dominik

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    I don't think that Sally Mann is a photographers photographer, people respond to her work on emotional level that goes beyond the simple ooh and aahs that the grand landscapes of certain photographers provoke.
    Some photographers prefer technique and some can master technique and don't have to shove their mastery in the viewers face.

Cody an uncoated lens is a lens without antireflection coating on the lens elements, these lenses usually produce muted sometimes unclean colors when used with color film

Dominik
    I've seen "oohs and aahhs" personally, when I showed a friend some of Edward Weston's peppers, nautili, etc. As far from a grand landscape as you can get, and technically superb.... made with an old uncoated RR lens, a simple camera, and contact printed under a lightbulb. There is no lack of mastery, nor is it shoved in the viewer's face.

Ms. Mann seems to make a big deal out of using wrecked equipment - as if that is neccessary to the inclusion of "feeling" in a photo. Schtick is what it is, maybe a bit if reverse snobbism as well. Perhaps she cannot make a technically good photo with any equipment, and so uses the beat up stuff.

As for the uncoated lenses, there is more than that going on. I've used Fuji 50 behind an uncoated lens and got superb results, not once but repeatedly.

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

schtick
    Yiddish slang meaning "gimmick" that has come to mean "someone's signature behavior." In the 1940's, Jewish comedians in the Catskills referred to their comedy routines as their schtick.
    "Joey's schtick is talking too loud."

2. schtick
    presentation or sales pitch, from yiddish slang, implying phoniness or slickness, lack of substance with focus on style.
    Grandma Zeidel gave her usual shtick for serving take-out for dinner instead of cooking, claiming that her oven was broken and the cleaning lady forgot to do the dishes again.

well at least i know the proper meaning of schtick now, cheers E. Von Hoegh.
    through a glass darkly...

cross processed ektachrome

Dominik

Emil first I wasn't refering to Weston whom I believe to be one of the trully great photographers (still prefer Brett though) but to an american landscape deity who imho is the most overated photographer in the history of the medium but that's all it is a personal opinion. Ms. Mann is at home in the gallery scene which requires a as you call it schtick otherwise you are hard to sell. Mrs Mann early work is technically perfect, so are the enlargments of her wetplate work. So she knows her technique quiet well. I've seen a Mann hanging next to a St. Ansel and guess what I vastly prefered her work but then again I also like work produced with the Holga, Diana, and other Toy cameras.

To the OP
    I had the same results from an overexposed roll of Konica centuria 100 (miss that film most beautiful pastel tones ) ric_kb could be right though

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Emil first I wasn't refering to Weston whom I believe to be one of the trully great photographers (still prefer Brett though) but to an american landscape deity who imho is the most overated photographer in the history of the medium but that's all it is a personal opinion. Ms. Mann is at home in the gallery scene which requires a as you call it schtick otherwise you are hard to sell. Mrs Mann early work is technically perfect, so are the enlargments of her wetplate work. So she knows her technique quiet well. I've seen a Mann hanging next to a St. Ansel and guess what I vastly prefered her work but then again I also like work produced with the Holga, Diana, and other Toy cameras.

To the OP
    I had the same results from an overexposed roll of Konica centuria 100 (miss that film most beautiful pastel tones ) ric_kb could be right though
    Thank you, I did not know about her wet plate mastery.
    I don't think St Ansel is overrated, but I do think he is unjustly deified by those who cannot tell a good postcard from a bad still-life. He also did much more than the grand landscape (which is emphatically not "my thing"). Ansel also did a great deal of work to make his skills attainable by anyone who wished to put in the time and effort.