Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: May/June 2012 View Camera Magazine

May/June 2012 View Camera Magazine

Friends,

I just wanted to mention I am one of the artists featured in this edition of the View Camera Magazine.

Four images from my work from the Baron Woolen Mill are featured. If you have a chance to pick up a copy please do and let me know what you think.

I felt the reproductions of my images were done very well and I'm quite happy with them.

Thanks to Steve and the magazine.

Robert

Re: May/June 2012 View Camera Magazine

Very nice, Robert.

Robert,
    Congratulations! The first photo is fantastic. An amazing machine and very beautifully photographed. The tones are great. Are they platinum prints you send to the magazine or do you have the prints scanned? I wondered if the first photo is expanded development for your Plus-x? The light is wonderfully soft. I enjoyed them very much, thank you.

Those are exceptional shots. You are right, I think they were very well reproduced in the magazine. Congratulations!

That first shot is truly amazing. I have photographed enough old mining mills that I know the lighting could not have been wonderful. Yet you were able to clearly capture that machine with all of its amazing detail. Great job.

Congratulations Robert!

This is a great group of images in a terrific display venue.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Eric Biggerstaff

Way to go Robert!

They are lovely and the first has a wonderful glow, also the third (#18 I think) is terrific.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark MacKenzie View Post
    Robert,
    Congratulations! The first photo is fantastic. An amazing machine and very beautifully photographed. The tones are great. Are they platinum prints you send to the magazine or do you have the prints scanned? I wondered if the first photo is expanded development for your Plus-x? The light is wonderfully soft. I enjoyed them very much, thank you.

Mark,

I exposed the image of the wheel using plus-x in 8x10. The exposure was around 8 minutes at f/64 using a wide lens.

I developed it with PMK and have printed this using both silver and platinum with great success.
    I developed for my standard time of 12 minutes in a jobo at 74F. With the (probable) slight under exposure, it really popped.

I submitted scans of the negatives and was very careful with not adding too much contrast as they tend to gain contrast in reproduction, but honestly it was very slight. The reproduction is really quite good.

Thank you for your comment.

R

Thank you all for your kind words. It's truly a set of images that took me several years and many trips back to the mill while it was still there to really capture what I have. I would love to have a few more years to continue the work but, alas, the mill is not what it once was.

Sincerely,

R

Well done Robert. Having seen some of your platinum prints at close distance i can imagine that these four are truly beautiful.

Really fine work, Robert. #24 is a gem. The diagonal line on the right of #18 holds the composition together beautifully with the black void above. Of course, being partial to close-ups, #3 is excellent.

I noticed the fourth generation bit; are you related to Robert Hall, a photographer I knew in the 1950's here in the Bay Area?

Congratulations,
    Merg